Hello from Lugano

BMC

Hi all,

I am an American expat living in Lugano, Switzerland. I am relatively new to watch repair, however my background in applied physics and micro-mechanics has given me plenty of exposure to working with delicate mechanisms. Watchmaking seemed like a logical choice for me, however I only wish I'd started sooner!

I went down the rabbit hole about 6 months ago while listlessly browsing youtube videos on a rainy Saturday, when I came across one of Mark's videos. Since the company I work for regularly supplies components to the watch industry, and I used to live a stone's throw away from original birthplace of watch making (Neuchâtel, Switzerland), I figured I'd give it a go. Several hours later I was hooked, and here I am today.

To date I've spent most of my time acquiring tools and old movements for practice. I've had some successes and so far no major failures (only one setting lever screw sheared off).

At the moment, I'm looking for information and identification help for a couple of Seiko watch cases so that they can be fitted with the correct glass and missing gaskets.

The first is marked 7009-8140, and was purchased as a 'complete' watch, though I suspect this one had the tell-tale signs of being a 'frankenwatch', so I'm not entirely sure the case back is original. Boley.de says that the correct crystal for this case should be 320W19GN00, and the correct gaskets are FH0060B01 and EZ2990B04. The case shape and size match the case number on the back, however the bezel so far has me stumped. The 'correct' crystal has a thickness of 1.9 mm, however I think this is the depth for the 'plain' bezel, while the measured depth for this bezel is around 2.3 mm. There also appears to be a recess around the outside for the gasket. In short, I have no idea if I'm looking at the correct part numbers for this style of case. I have found replacement plain bezels, so another option could be to replace this bezel with the 'plain' style.

The second case is marked 7S36-8180. This case was missing the bezel when I bought it and so far I have been unable to find a replacement. Any ideas where I might find one?

Thanks in advance for any help and I look forward to learning more from all of you!

- Ben

20210228_190303.jpg

20210228_190227.jpg

20210301_210856.jpg

20210301_210905.jpg

Edited by BMC
Forgot to attach photos..

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

When ordering a glass for a seiko watch it's the numbers on the back of the case to make sure you get the right one from a supplier. Not sure if you will be lucky in obtaining case parts such as a bezel. You could try ebay. 

Thanks for the warm welcome!

If it is allowed, I may modify this post and move my question about cases to the main forum. I get the impression that this part of the forum is not visited too often.. ?

56 minutes ago, BMC said:

Thanks for the warm welcome!

If it is allowed, I may modify this post and move my question about cases to the main forum. I get the impression that this part of the forum is not visited too often.. ?

No problem, Just go ahead and post your question in the appropriate subforum.

• 2 weeks later...