Shock jewels - part numbers

Bonzer

I've been trying to solve a problem on my Longines watch (see thread 'Diagnosing problems from Timegraph results') and last night I removed the upper and lower shock jewels to give them a better clean and oil. I put it all back and my problem is still there (low amplitude - circa 200 degrees). 

However, I discovered later that Longines list the upper and lower shock jewels as two different part numbers (370 and 371) whereas I had stupidly assumed they were the same. My question therefore; if the part numbers are different, does this mean the jewels differ from each other in some way? They certainly looked the same size but maybe I've mixed them up and put them back incorrectly.

Frequently the cap jewels will be different, with the cap for the balance cock being thicker. In rare cases* the hole jewel and cap are different, usually these will be clearly different in diameter and clear where they go.

Always remember the sound a clock makes- tick-tock; thick-top.

*Some modern common calibers use different sizes, like the 7750, with a surprisingly small one in the mainplate.

1 hour ago, Bonzer said:

A great way to remember ?

I'll have look and dig out the micrometer if they look too similar to identify. Thanks ?

Haha, yes. In school inevitably some student discovers that if you switch "top" with "cock" it makes perfect logical sense, and gets a laugh. Just don't be muttering it to yourself when you're working on the watch or the missus will give you very strange looks.

• Like 1