Wenger Pheasants Forever Watch

Jpsbgt

I recently received this watch from the estate of the original owner. I think but not exactly sure the year of manufacture. The watch was never worn when I received it this week. I took it to a local jeweler who has a great reputation for a battery replacement. After the insertion of new battery the second hand moved for a moment but stop moments later. They removed the battery, tested it it but still nothing after a moment or two. Any suggestions would be great. I spoke to Wenger/Vitronix service, they quoted up to $300.00 to replace the movement. Today you can purchase a similar style for hash that amount...thanks for taking time to read this.

58 minutes ago, Jpsbgt said:

I recently received this watch from the estate of the original owner. I think but not exactly sure the year of manufacture. The watch was never worn when I received it this week. I took it to a local jeweler who has a great reputation for a battery replacement. After the insertion of new battery the second hand moved for a moment but stop moments later. They removed the battery, tested it it but still nothing after a moment or two. Any suggestions would be great. I spoke to Wenger/Vitronix service, they quoted up to $300.00 to replace the movement. Today you can purchase a similar style for hash that amount...thanks for taking time to read this.

Pictures please!

I recently replaced the movement in a Victrinox SA.  It is not longer made, but I finally found one on Ebay.  Had to modify the movement by replacing the date ring with the one from my watch.

Edited by LittleWatchShop

This is the Wenger Pheasants Forever Swiss Military watch. I believe it was issued in 2002. It sat in a safe until this month. After a battery change the second hand moved for a moment then just stops ? Can you assist with a name of someone who might help me determine if the watch is worth investing in to repair...thanks  

431CFCD1-966A-4A84-92E8-547A306ABADB.jpeg

Probably worth $20-$30.  Some experts on this forum have said that this kind of behavior is due to oil drying up.  There is a device that drives the watch faster (turbo tester) and frees up the gears.  I have no experience with it, but it might get your watch running.  You need to find a shop that has one of those turbo testers and see.

Was the old watch battery leaking?  If so, then the leaking battery may have killed the coil (as it did in my case), or something else.

Hi welcome to the forum , would it be possible to post some pictures of the movement close up to enable members to see what we are dealing with.  Movement and calibration number are use ful to know also.  If the watch has been stood for a long while it may just need a service (clean oil and new battery).but there is also the possibility it’s dead.  The line release will spin the gear work ok but the watch may still not run. Knowing what the movement is will assist us in our diagnosis.  Thank you.

I’m not comfortable opening it myself but could have it opened by the firm who replaced the battery this week. When it stopped running shortly after the battery was inserted I asked them to remove the new battery. Should I have them reinstall the battery again ? It ran for a moment and then just stoped. 

As the second hand moves (allbeit briefly) then I would assume the problem is mechanical rather than electrical.

A line release tool which is basically a spinning magnet that

A) moves the hands quickly on a quartz watch thus hopefully moving/freeing the mechanical problem.

B) is useful for de-magnetising (and magnetising) small tools/parts.

Costs around £20 and in my opinion well worth having.

I concur with the veterans here.  If it has analog hands, it has gears to move them, and those gears need oil.  If the oil is old or thick with dirt, the quartz movement will have a chore to overcome. I'd be surprised if oil wasn't at least part of the issue.

Quartz watches are no real specialty of mine, but having kids who put theirs through all kinds of purgatory, I've had to learn to clean them and get them running again.  It's amazing how much abuse some of the really cheap quartz watches will survive through, where my Citizen will stop if it doesn't like the brand of oil I use on it.

Edited by KarlvonKoln

I wanted to update everyone who offered suggestions on my Wenger Swiss Military watch issue. I called Wenger service and was told it would cost $28.00 to diagnose the failure to run issue. I explained that this watch had never been worn since it was manufactured. The gentleman showed no interest in this, just the reply “it could run up to hundreds of dollars to fix” ! Thinking locally, I contacted a jeweler who measured the battery, replaced it with a exact size, set the time. We both watched the second hand move for about five seconds and stop. Off the back came and he repeated the process again. Same results. The next thing I witnessed was him giving the watch a rap on his work bench. He looked closely at the dial and smiled. $10.00 later everything is golden. I appreciate everyone’s time following this watch adventure..Jack 

• Like 1