Don't you just hate it when...

It was supposed to be a simple job. Just replace the battery...

But then I noticed there was a speck of dust under the crystal... So I took out the movement to clean inside the crystal. 

Then I noticed the minute hand wasn't centred on the hour... So I removed the hands to realign them. 

Then the minute hand stops moving... I took off the dial and discovered that the cannon pinion popped off when I lifted off the hands. ?

Now I will have to do a full disassembly to fix it. ?

I have to stop being so OCD.

• Like 3

Friction pinion all fixed up and reassembled.  

On further thinking, is this a design weakness? If the minute hand is fitted too tightly,the chance of the pinion separating from the wheel again is very high.

Or is there a safer method of taking off the hands?

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 7:59 AM, HectorLooi said:

Friction pinion all fixed up and reassembled.  

On further thinking, is this a design weakness? If the minute hand is fitted too tightly,the chance of the pinion separating from the wheel again is very high.

Or is there a safer method of taking off the hands?

Or. . . next time just replace the battery and walk away LOL

I think we have all slipped down that rabbit hole many times. Glad you got it sorted.

IMO when such things happen, I look at it as an opportunity to learn more about the watch; as you have done. Most fo us have an extra watch around to wear while something is in process.

I know that rabbit hole too.
The last tiny little Elgin grade #320 I worked on just a week ago *only* needed a NOS mainspring installed.  That's all.
But then I got to thinking the beat could be a tiny bit better.  Had the balance out to tweak it a bit.  It went back in perfectly fine on the first try.  And again on the second try, and I was getting the beat close to perfect.  Then the third time...@#&^%&^@#$!!!!...that miniscule roller jewel would not go into the stupid stinking fork for any amount of love or money!  It was always one side or the other!  I spent the rest of the day sweating bullets with that tiny little thing, trying not to harm it in any way.  It finally went in, and I grabbed a shot of scotch afterward.  The watch ran supremely well afterward, but oh Lawdy it made me earn my bread and cheese.