Mr. Phillips

I take it that he was the guy that invented the Phillips head screws that we have today.

I hate them. Once your screwdriver even thinks about slipping when trying to put a screw in, game is almost over at that point.

Not much to go before you are just turning the screwdriver, swearing and trying in vain to progress the screw that last half thread, but it just won't go.

You then have to weigh up trying to get it back out versus just leaving it slightly loose.

They should just drop these in any sort of conflict and say 'Here you go. Free to use on your equipment.' End of conflict as nothing would work correctly after that.

Keep in mind that a lot of the screws you might encounter that look like Phillips are actually Pozidrive. The only way to discern is there are little marks around the head, and the drivers have extra ridges between the blades (non functional, just as an identifier). Pozidrive is a little more- positive. Both are OK as long as you have the proper driver and it's in good condition, and you have a straight shot at the screw. From my mechanic days I would often go for an extended length driver if room permitted as they tend to engage better.

There are also Japanese standards for Phillips style screws, which are usually encountered in smaller electronic devices and don't need the torque of their larger cousins.

pozidriv_vs_phillips.JPG