I have a flash shortcut to ETA labs 7750 calibre that showed assembly dis-assembly. It no longer works due to Adobe flash reaching EOL status. I visited ETA labs web site to see if there was an alternative and lo and behold  no access to anything technical at all. Does anyone know how to get access to what we use to have access to? Looks like protectionism has escalated.

• Sad 1

So that everyone who grasps what were talking about I have a link. It looks like there is no reference to them anywhere but they may still be functional if someone had flash player still installed. Somebody had suggested to me the way to do this is to get a portable version of a browser and then portable flash player so it can run on a USB drive or somewhere it's not installed that might work but I haven't got around to try yet. Then I suspect with the current Swiss attitude towards anyone touching their precious watches that there will never be an update for these.

22 minutes ago, clockboy said:

Cousins have them on their web site.

The above posting needed to be more clear perhaps? Or not talking about the tech sheets were talking about four separate webpages that had the assembly disassembly of four different movements. Then there was also the dynamic dictionary at all of these required a web browser with the flash plug-in.

Cousins Has the technical stuff at least the older stuff. The newer stuff still exists it just isn't available for normal download.

https://www.eta.ch/swisslab/7750/7750.html

• Like 1

Oh no, ETA has removed all "Technical Communication". I should have downloaded these documents before they were removed. I'm going to service my first ETA 2836-2 and I really enjoyed reading (but not always agreeing with) ETAs advice.

Anyone aware if these documents are available elsewhere? Checked with Cousins, and they have outdated versions. Perhaps just a matter of time before ETA forces Cousins to mark these documents as restricted. ?

This really sucks! ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VWatchie said:

Oh no, ETA has removed all "Technical Communication".

It's good that you're panicking Early because the technical communications are still there. Like for instance 30 seconds ago I just downloaded from this link As you are using an example of 7750 PDF.They just don't jump off the website like they used to you have to stare at the website and then go all I know what I'm supposed to do and then you'll get there and you can get your technical communication but don't worry at some point in time they will all be gone. I doubt there's anything they could do to cousins other than just not give them anything new not that they probably give them anything at all anyway.

https://shopb2b.eta.ch/catalog/product/view/id/69714/s/7750-7750-5/category/24/

The access the soon or someday to be forbidden knowledge under penalty of death

Start at this link

https://shopb2b.eta.ch/

Get confused okay maybe that's just me. Notice how the top of the page it specifies mechanical or quartz pick whichever one you like and then go from there. Then under each of those categories you can pick whatever you want view all will work. Then you get the images of all the various movements that are left that we can look at click on those and it looks like 2019 is the age of all the technical bulletins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can download and extract all the elements as jpegs. Thats what I did when I realized that flashplayer was going away. I imagine there will eventually be some 3rd party application that will run these old flahplayer files. I have several other 7750 tech guides that I use. If you want them pm me. 

For those who were curious of what the 7750 flash-files contained and didn´t have time to download the swf files I did a small compilation of the Swissl@b application a while ago.
In this PDF you also get some extra information.
So no need for a flashplayer.....

ETA 7750 HSL EDITION.pdf

And after a quick glance at this issue here is an alternative if you really want to look at these files.
For windows users I attached the reader in the zipfile.
Just unzipp the zip file to a  good place on your harddrive, read the attaced short instructions and happy viewing.

Swisslab.png

[email protected]

Edited by HSL
update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 2/28/2021 at 1:10 AM, bjd1020 said:

You can download and extract all the elements as jpegs. Thats what I did when I realized that flashplayer was going away. I imagine there will eventually be some 3rd party application that will run these old flahplayer files. I have several other 7750 tech guides that I use. If you want them pm me. 

Hi bjd1020

Would you like to elaborate on how you extract the elements as jpegs for those of us that are computer illiterate? Your input to this post is much appreciated. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for bringing up this topic. VWatchie made me aware of what was happening and I downloaded most of the technical communications still available. Also thanks to HSL for sharing the files !

For the Russian Poljot chronograph, the Poljot 3133 (based upon the Valjoux 7734) there used to be an excellent and very comprehensive website "Polmax3133". It appears that the author & owner had passed away and hosting fees weren't paid. Subsequently, to many 3133's fans dismay, the webpage disappeared.

Luckily, just what happens in this thread, I felt something wasn't right and copied the whole Polmax3133 webpage into Word, resulting in 756 pages of valuable information !

I've no idea how it works, but about a 1/2 year later, people found,or had "mirrors" of the webpage. Currently (and for how long that will last?) one of the WUS f10 (f10 = Russian watch forum) members is now hosting such a mirror of the Polmax3133 webpage: http://www.mfkrlives.com/polmax3133/?i=1

Can ETA delete all their information or would there always be "mirrors" ?

Since internet, a lot of information has come and suddenly gone. Nothing seems to be so temporary as the internet ?

Anyhow, thanks again for warning people in time ?

You can always try the Wayback Machine at the Internet Archive, archive.org.

You need to know the original URL.

I checked, and they have snapshots of polmax3133.com going back to 2014, but I didn't check and see how complete the snapshots are.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

Yes, after the disappearance of the webpage I managed to find snapshots as well, but somehow the WUS member recovered and now host the whole webpage including the "hundreds" of links. The Polmax3133 website is truly an extensive body of work; a lives-work of a passionate 3133 collector.

I hope that ETA will not be able to erase all the data they've put on so far. For future information they can obviously make their website protected and only available for those who are in the echelons of the cartel.

Edited by Endeavor

I was wondering re Cousins and Swatch / ETA etc.

Question: Once technical data has been placed in the public domain can the Swatch group then legally after many years dictate to Cousins etc and restrict its use?

Surely providing Cousins attribute the data to the owner they are not copying it or selling it, they are just making it available and as there are now so many copies stored on devices all round the world it makes no sense to now restrict its use to non Swiss affiliated watch makers / repairers. As I see it there cannot be copyright infringement. I even wonder by restricting the data that it is even legal to do so. I guess we will soon find out. Just waiting for the Swatch police to knock on my door.

16 hours ago, Endeavor said:

Yes, after the disappearance of the webpage I managed to find snapshots as well, but somehow the WUS member recovered and now host the whole webpage including the "hundreds" of links. The Polmax3133 website is truly an extensive body of work; a lives-work of a passionate 3133 collector.

I hope that ETA will not be able to erase all the data they've put on so far. For future information they can obviously make their website protected and only available for those who are in the echelons of the cartel.

Helvetica tempore custodes vestibuli.

Self appointed! ?

20 minutes ago, Colditz said:

Question: Once technical data has been placed in the public domain can the Swatch group then legally after many years dictate to Cousins etc and restrict its use?

One of the problems when stuff leaks into the public is that like PDFs there is no way to stop their use. But simple solution for them is not to release any new technical data which is exactly what they're doing. Or make parts available so you may have a data sheet and need a part but getting that part isn't going to happen because are not going to give it to you.

Well that sucks too.

Who are the true time lords? I naively thought that as time was based on GMT  and Greenwich is in London that Britain had some say in the matter. It would appear that we have given another first away to interlopers.

I would so love to see a proper watch manufacturing and apprenticeship setup in the UK that rivals the Swiss. The government could do so much more to promote engineering prowess in the horology field here. We certainly have the skill base it just needs to be passed on and have the people willing to invest and do it.

I also would really like people to take more time in researching what they are buying into when they purchase a watch. I do not believe that in most cases they reallise the service costs that they will incur when they buy a Swiss watch that can only be serviced by a registered dealer service agent and that they are tied in for the life of the time piece.

I still have had no joy obtaining pushers for a Breitling Avenger A13381. This protectionism is so frustrating.