Making a new balance staff?

Here is a broken staff from an inexpensive stopwatch. 

This will be my maiden voyage into making a custom staff with my lathe.

As you can see...this does not use a jeweled roller table. 

I think that this staff is one solid piece of metal, so I need to start with stock equivalent to the largest diameter of what you see here, but I am not sure.

What should I start with in terms of raw stock?  I have various kinds of rods that were passed down to me.  I also have some old clock balance wheels that I could steal the staff (if the diameter is great enough).

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

I appear to have failing eyesight or I lack proper imagination to grasp what you're trying to say? Or maybe a picture wasn't attached.

There is a good reason for that.  I failed to post a picture.  No matter...I have already begun the task using some round steel stock I had in the watch bench.  I am about halfway done...hoping not to screw up.

2021-02-26 20_24_22-Photos.png

There is always the tiny possibility that we can get a replacement and deny you your fun of making one.

Then it's a shame it wasn't the right kind of stopwatch? Some stopwatch is have spare parts. Their hiding so I went online and snipped out some pictures for you. This particular example actually has a note that the parts are hiding under something. Other times it's not at least I remember it's not always shown that this is where the parts are hiding.

stopwatch bonus parts B.JPG

stopwatch bonus parts.JPG

• Like 2

I put lots of hours into this.  First try fail, second try stopped at this point--one pivot turned, but not the second.

The issue is the damn slot.  On the first try, I used a dremel--not a precision instrument, but it was pretty close.  Then I had a fail later in the process.

Second try, looking good, but not willing to go the dremel route again.  So, I am scratching my head and pondering a precision way to make the slot.

2021-02-28 07_51_41-Photos.png