Need advice with Seiko 7546

Tom63

'No good deed goes unpunished'

A friend of mine asked me to take a look at an old Seiko divers.

The electronic module was faulty so I ordered a new one.

While waiting for the module to arrive I thought to myself why not spoil my friend (My expense) with a new Glass, Bezel insert and a set of luminous hands?

Well I did. The New Bezel insert was the easy part. The new Glass was a millimeter too high and the edge wouldn't fit... but now i needed new set of seals, old glass back. Done.

The Hands.... Those hands... Off come the hands, New Hours hand - Check. New Minutes hand - Check.  Seconds hand?  No fit. Seems like the hole in the new seconds hand not big enough.

Short search on the WWW to learn that most of Seiko's mechanical hands will fit this Quartz.. So since I got plenty of Nh35/Nh36 Hands  from other mods i tried 3 other second hands. No fit.  ?

Any Idea what might have happened? Is it possible that for some reason the Seconds Pinion was somehow pressed down and the seconds hand "tube" will not reach it?

Any comments will be highly appreciated.

4 minutes ago, Tom63 said:

Is it possible that for some reason the Seconds Pinion was somehow pressed down and the seconds hand "tube" will not reach it?

No, I don't think so. Had it been an indirectly driven seconds hand like a Vostok cal. 24XX then possibly but not in this case. I've only serviced a single Seiko (cal. 7S36B) but for most movements the pivot for the center seconds hand should be clearly visible on top of the cannon pinion (the tube for the minute hand). Could it be that you broke off the top of the pivot while removing the original seconds hand? Check the inside of the bore of the original seconds hand to check if you can see a possibly broken off pivot. Also, under strong magnification and good lighting, you might be able to see if the top of the pivot has a break surface.

39 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

No, I don't think so. Had it been an indirectly driven seconds hand like a Vostok cal. 24XX then possibly but not in this case. I've only serviced a single Seiko (cal. 7S36B) but for most movements the pivot for the center seconds hand should be clearly visible on top of the cannon pinion (the tube for the minute hand). Could it be that you broke off the top of the pivot while removing the original seconds hand? Check the inside of the bore of the original seconds hand to check if you can see a possibly broken off pivot. Also, under strong magnification and good lighting, you might be able to see if the top of the pivot has a break surface.

Thank you for swift response. I wish I had the old Seconds hand. Took a pic from the Top. The pivot is clearly visible but not reaching the height of the Pinion.

Does it seem Broken? too low? too wide?

Screenshot_80.jpg

45 minutes ago, Marc said:

It's difficult to tell for sure from your photo but has the seconds hand pipe become detached from the hand and remained on the pinion?

My Hope/Wish.... Looking for the right tool for the job.... that would be great to find out, Any suggestions regarding improvised tool?

Hi  I have attached the tech sheet for your interest should you need to dismantle the watch.

It is not really possible to discern whether the pivot top is broken or not.  Marc could well be right, the only way to tell will be to remove the dial and hands and have a side on view of the watch. If the top of the pinion is not visible the either of the above suggestions could be the possible cause. You might have pushed the pinion through the wheel. Have a look at the back of the watch the jewel if there is one might be out.  Pics of the front .rear ans side on view would be helpful.    thanks.

3128_Seiko 7548A (2).pdf

• Thanks 1

If you still have the original seconds hand you can easily see if the pipe is still attached to it or not. If it is still on the hand then it's clearly not still attached to the pinion so it's not that that is preventing the installation of the new hand.

If it is still attached to the hand try looking through the pipe. If it is blocked then it may well be that the top of the pinion has broken off and is still in the pipe, which would then require a new seconds hand pinion before you can fit a new hand.

As @watchweasol says though it would be helpful to have the dial off to get a clearer view.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm Back.

I did as suggested by fellow distinguished members and took the watch to a Watchmaker.

His diagnose is that the Seconds pinion is broken and needs replacement.

I have found this on Ebay...  Genuine NOS Seiko 241750 Fourth Wheel & Pinion for Seiko 7548 Diver

Just to be sure, this is the part?

Many thanks

פיניון שניות.jpg