Seiko face rotates

Flogger

Hi, I am trying to restore a Seiko 5M62-0D50 Kinetic. The crystal needed replacing and the face needed aligned as someone (me) had assembled it off by about 5degrees having replaced the capacitor. I don't know if I lost something last time but there seems to be nothing to locate the face relative to the movement. ie it spins freely and once in place, cannot be accessed to correct it. Can anyone give me any pointers?

seiko.jpg

The dial feet must have broken off. You will need to remove the dial and either

• attach new ones - I've superglued them on, or they can be soldered (tricky) 
  • use double sided sticky tabs to secure the dial (not great)
  • look for a new dial

Can you remove the dial and post a pic of the back of the dial and movement ?

Welcome to the forum JR. 

Mark has done a YouTube video on your very watch with the same problem, well worth watching.

There are other videos dealing with this problem but watch Marks first you'll find it worth while.

Good luck.

Graham

Yes I agree with the other comments, The dial feet have broken off. New ones can be soldered on  or glued on although with the glue on ones you have to be careful of the calendar work for clearance. I built my own tool for the job and never had a dial spoiled.  Common fault on Seiko's 

Mine is the LH one  the RH one is a Horotec .

OIP (1).jpg

OIP.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mikepilk said:

Not sure that I can remove the hands. I'm almost in over my head already. If I pluck up enough courage, I'll post a pic. Thank you for your advice. I would never have guessed dial feet.

16 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Common fault on Seiko's 

Thank you for this. I was beating myself up for losing a gasket or something. That's a pretty advanced piece of kit that you built. My tools so far don't go much further than decent screwdrivers and a starter kit off ebay:( 

Thank you lads. I would never have solved this riddle on my own. I honestly believed that I had lost something years ago, when I done the capacitor job. That's when the dial went wonky and I have been beating myself up all week because of that. I'd be back on the drink had I not have found this forum. I have replaced the crystal as the old one actually had a hole punched in it. I never felt the impact at the time but I guess that's when the dial feet went walkies:) 

Hi here is a link to explain how its all done    http://www.dirkfassbender.de/dial-feet-soldering-machine.html       By building the simple gallows rig and using a soldering Iron on the wire the same job can be done  foot wire is 0.6mm and the heat transmits down the wire to the dial melting the solder paste ( flux/solder mix).

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 5:10 PM, mikepilk said:

The dial feet must have broken off. You will need to remove the dial and either

• attach new ones - I've superglued them on, or they can be soldered (tricky) 
  • use double sided sticky tabs to secure the dial (not great)
  • look for a new dial

On 2/23/2021 at 5:10 PM, mikepilk said:

Yeah, I see the problem. Been looking at the solutions and I defo can't do a professional job. I wouldn't touch this with the tools I own. Gonna go for the tape I'm afraid.

Seiko dial.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Gra said:

this dial had been glued on with contact adhesive.....nasty ?

Not nasty when recesses are cut first. This tecnique is demonstrated in comparison to soldering by our Host Mark Lovick.