Diagnosing problems from Timegraph results

Bonzer

On 2/22/2021 at 10:20 PM, Bonzer said:

There is a variation that occurs every 5-6 seconds - what could be the possible cause?

This corresponds to the period of the escape wheel. The fault includes power transmition to & from the escape wheel, a list of such fault;

-Bent escape wheel  pivot, rusty escape pinion, wobbling( third gear, escape wheel or damaged teeth ).

-Faulty jewel or end stones, no end shake so end stones be pushing on pivots.

As said any such fault eats amplitude.

Use a wooden stick to assist turning the barrel, if little assistance gives you good amplitude, the fault is likely to be inside the barrel. 

TG shows you something is wrong, interpretation of T-graph hardly gets better than what John is doing, visual inspection of parts is an instrument of diagonstics.

Good luck

Regs Joe

Thanks Joe.

I found that when I applied some pressure to the barrel (in clockwise direction with DD), I could get the amplitude up to well over 300 degrees. 

As said before, I don't have a spring winder but I am prepared to have a go at removing, cleaning and manually attempting to wind it in before purchasing a new spring. Is this the way to go or is has the spring lost it's tension? Incidentally it was still running at 40 hours.

4 hours ago, Bonzer said:

Thanks Joe.

I found that when I applied some pressure to the barrel (in clockwise direction with DD), I could get the amplitude up to well over 300 degrees. 

You have over-powered the fault that exists in escape wheel area.

The fault is still there to be found, weak mainspring doesn't explain the periodic fluctuations you saw.

Friction steming from the fault prevents MS's free power flow pass the escape wheel.

I look for cause of the fault in escape wheel area.

Good luck

In response to the possibilities mentioned in the last few posts, I stripped the watch down again and took a closer look at the wheels and jewels. 

As far as I can tell using a x7 loupe, the escape wheel/pinion/pivot is fine. Pivots don't seem bent or rusted. The pinion seems in good shape. The same is true of the other wheels. 

I cleaned the pivots using pithwood, pegged out all the jewels again reassembled and re-oiled. At the moment, after 12 hours of operation, the amplitude is around 215 degrees and the variation is still slightly there but far less pronounced.

The amplitude prior to any messing around with this watch was about 144 degrees DU/DD so it has improved but still not enough ?

I wonder whether I should really be investing in an ultrasonic cleaner to get better cleaning.