Ricoh And Hamilton

I've just bid and won a Ricoh by Orient/Seiko but just found this as I was trying to appraise it....Here.

I was shocked to find out the Hamilton were once linked with Ricoh only on the electronic front as I can see but was still surprised.

Does Hamilton still have any link to the company. Moreover does anyone have or seen the Ricoh 555E? 

Just a thought.

This is the first I have heard of Ricoh making watches! I always thought of them as a camera and printer company. Looking at the images you linked to though the dial screams 1960's Japanese. I love that dial, it is just everything right about balance, simplicity and integrity of design. Gorgeous looking watch with a fascinating history to uncover which is a huge part of the vintage route I think that makes it so appealing. Congratulations!

I just searched but could not find if it is OK to post a link to another forum. I will take a chance that it is and post this link as I think it will be of some help, if it is not OK then apologies in advance and feel free to take the link down.

This is a thread about Richo branded watches, fascinating stuff.

http://seikoholics.yuku.com/sreply/389#.UwMA6Xkgq44

Edited by ianmedium
  • Like 1

Ricoh did indeed go into the watch market. It must have seemed a good idea at the time as Hamilton was one of the pioneers of the electronic watch, and to hook up with an electronics firm might have been good policy. Unfortunately, the era of the electronic/electric watch - as opposed sandwiched between mechanical and quartz - was very short-lived. But the watches are quite sought after today. You've probably got a good find.

Incidentally, Craig, the guy who wrote that page on Rich in your link is quite an expert on electric and electronic watches - and might be able to advise and help if it needs a fettle.

Edited by WillFly
  • Like 1