Dial Finish and Luming.

mcoulton

Hello

I have two questions.

1.) I'm restoring a brass plated dial with newly lumed numbers. Do I protect the dial by spraying on a clear or mat varnish from Humbrol Paints? I don't have an air sprayer so I would either apply the varnish via a brush or an aerosol can. What do you recommend?

2.) Does newly applied lume cure to a hardness that can be sanded down? I may have a few areas where the lume is built up and won't allow the hands to pass. Instead of removing the lumed area and reapplying it, I'm wondering if I can simply sand down the high spots?

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be given. 

Michael

8 hours ago, mcoulton said:

I'm wondering if I can simply sand down the high spots?

Hi there , sanding down the lume would make marks that may not be visible to the naked eye but would be clearly visible under magnification .Why not strive for perfection and redo the lume,after all this is what watchmaking is all about and practice makes perfect ,then you will learn the properties of applying lume.Not only that but you risk damaging other parts of the dial .If at first you don't succeed, then try again as the saying goes.Take your time and strive for perfection.After all your are doing a restoration .

hope this helps ,Graziano

Oh and I forgot to mention sanding the lume will remove the fine natural film on the surface leaving rough surface allowing mould and other types of defects to occur more quickly   

Edited by Graziano
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mcoulton said:

Hello

Thanks for the suggestions. I've never worked with lume before and so I don't know the properties of it nor what I can and can't to it. This watch and it's dial will be a rewarding learning experience. 

Michael

Hi there Micheal, here's a link to a video, that should help you understand luming