Help identifying manufacturer / caliber

Hello Everyone,

My better half has come into posession of a very interesting artifact I am unable to identify and hope you can share any insights into what manufacturer this might be and what model.

2021-02-19_15-06-48.png.0ad6c483bf69c32b5c825f95f7d20b35.png

The caliber along with the dial is enclosed in a case that just opens up in the back, there is a hinge, so once it opens, one can take the entire movement out.

2021-02-19_15-05-16.png.bbc71b63284e043c41e8b7dc843ce64d.png

The back of the case has three very fine service marks, the last seems to be around 1997.

2021-02-19_15-05-50.png.401110ed9468276baee37cd1942f82fc.png

The little icon above the serial number on the case might represent a manufacturer, but I cannot quite make it out. To me it looks like a gloved hand.2021-02-19_15-04-35.png.ae2c909e7e50f6d1064eaab98d7d6dff.png

I have not taken it apart yet to have a look at the base plate for any additional markings. The balance wheel bridge has letters S and F, which points to a British or American manufacturer.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

Thank you.

Hi there, the s and f you see on the balance bridge stands for fast and slow. It's for regulating the time telling. You need to remove the balance cock or bridge and see if there is a makers and movement id under there. Sometimes you can use a Loupe and you will be able to see without removing. Sometimes markings are under the dial. Have a look on the plate under the balance wheel. Once you find the maker head to this website for more information http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk

Hope this helps. 

Graziano 

Edited by Graziano

While newer movements are marked under the balance, older ones are marked under the dial or not at all. The method I use for unknown or unmarked movements is by their finger prints, or the shape of the set lever bridge, set lever and detent. These can be matched to a specific maker and model number. If that fails, then likely it was made before parts were standardized. 

I'm certain this is not an American make.

• Like 1

Took it apart for cleaning. Still nothing. 

The main plate under the dial has a number - 4362. No databases return anything.

IMG_20210219_225136.thumb.jpg.bd887f87e6beb3b042a9c2024521bf3c.jpg

Here are setting parts, any resemblance to anything anyone has seen before?

IMG_20210219_225408_1.thumb.jpg.0cc34e41933134ab5a7ccaccdb9076b7.jpg

I have done a search by image, there are a few that look similar to 1920's Gruen watches, but those usually have the name prominently spelled out.

Looks like a Buren movement with the Finnish on the bridges from about the 1930s but then again anonymous Swiss ébauches (movements) made before the 1930s are not at all well documented. Catalogues of movements such as Bestfit generally only include movements made from the 1930s onwards, and usually require the movement size and the shape of the keyless mechanism cover plate. If the cover plate does not include the setting lever detent spring, it is unlikely that the movement will be listed in one of the catalogues.The really definitive "fingerprint" of a movement is the keyless mechanism, which is why materials parts suppliers such as Bestfit and Schwartchild often show only the components of the keyless mechanism in their movement identifications.

This bit of reading may help you understand who made your watch ,have a read ....https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/whomademywatch.php

Edited by Graziano

With unmarked movements the bestfit books are probably the best reference, Identifying via the setting lever spring and associated parts.  The books were put on the site by Old Hippy some while ago and were available for down load. They contain a mine of information .   Have a look for them through the search facility at the top right on the home screen.

I checked the setting parts to the Bestfit system and found no match, so I would agree with Graziano that this likely predates the 1930s. It's going to be hard to identify it. 

The stamp in the case back likely identifies the metal used (gold, platinum, etc.) Or the case maker, but not likely the movement maker.

Among my parts watches I have a few that are of this vintage. I know the frustration of not being able to ID them.