• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi everyone.

Finally had some of my watch repairing tools arrive in the mail.

Finally was able to get into a watch i've had sitting in a box for over 2 years. It was meant to be a Seiko 6309 but I honestly thought it was going to be anything but. It was from the Indian market so I figured it probably wouldn't be a Seiko movement in there, but low and behold it is a 6309 that looks to be in decent condition (I think). Im not sure if its worth doing much with (though I do love the dial on it), but the biggest thing that stopped me using the watch was that it wasn't waterproof and the case wasn't OEM and was just horrible.

I was having a look online and as I wasn't finding anything except lots of references to a specific Seiko diver that used the 6309 movement, it got me wondering if there are new aftermarket cases what would fit common vintage Seiko movements, or am I just going to have to hunt for a reasonable vintage case? A broader question from my total noobness is what do people with older movements do if they want a generic case that will work? Measure the diameter of the movement and find an appropriate case spacer ring/3d print one?

Anyhow apologies for the total noob question. You will probably have to get used to these from me, or ignore my posts lol now that I can actually start some practical hands on stuff hahaaha.

@spectre6000I noticed that... all 7s26 and NH35s/36s though heard there is a supply issue for the NH35 at the moment. I don't mind aftermarket stuff in general if its as good or better quality. Whatever this case is on the 6309 (though the back is a legit Seiko backing) the movement case isnt. I think that's also why this thing isn't waterproof in addition to having the thinnest gasket ever ive seen.

Edited by WatchingOracle

2 hours ago, WatchingOracle said:

If there are new aftermarket cases what would fit common vintage Seiko movements

Yes these are easily available on AliExpress, look for NH35 case. 

63xx, 70xx, 7Sxx, 4Rxx, 6Rxx and their SII counterparts are all the same basic size and can be cased across with minor modifications if any. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, WatchingOracle said:

@jdmSo it is a matter of making sure its the same diameter movement then and the right spot for the crown stem?

As mentioned, basic dimensions, including diameter and height are the same, or very close.

5 hours ago, WatchingOracle said:

This thing I think has been modified as the crown stem is at 3 o'clock instead of the standard 4 o' clock position with the 6309.

No movement is built for a specific crown position. It is just rotated to fit the case.

The date ring is the same for both 3 and 4:15 crown positions, and changes only for a date window at 6. The day disc (if present) changes for each possible combination of crown and day window position. 

That is true for pretty much any watch movement, not just Seiko. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dear All, A question about watch cases. There are loads of donor movements around but what about donor or refurbished cases? Is there anywhere I can find cases for movements? Struggled on Ebay to find anything, I was looking for something for an FHF96 movement but couldn't find anything. Can anyone point me in the direction of a supplier or source for donor/replacment cases? Thanks for your help and hope its not too daft a question.

Do you have a dial plate?  if not you best get matching dial and case. 

FHF & ST 96 are the same. 

New Stainless steel cases and dial to fit for your movement are currently made and widely used in India. 

Many brand used ST96, so second hand Swiss made cases should be plentiful, not dials, however. 

Regs Joe

• Like 1

I've been enjoying assembling my own mechanical watches. I bought my first case from Ofrei (#1) and it is quite nice. But I'm having trouble finding other generic cases in different sizes. Specifically, I need cases that will fit a 30mm dial and a case that is more of ladies' style than a gentleman's. I plan to use Sellita 220-1 for these. 

Ofrei so far has been the only supplier I've found to offer generic complete cases. Searches online are pretty worthless because I keep getting pre-made watches for sale or watch storage cases. 

I'm not interested in using a brand's replacement case since my watch isn't that brand. 

• jdm pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...

I bought a brown dialed Seiko SRPC68 Bottle Cap. I hated the shiny copper-colored bezel, so I removed it. I assumed there would be dozens of aftermarket bezels available. Not only aren't there any aftermarket bezels available, but Seiko does not have any available. I would like to be able to transfer the 33.5mm dial and 4R36 movement to a different case. It doesn't even have to be a Seiko case, but it does have to have a 4 o'clock crown position. Please share a link to a watch case which will be compatible.

8 hours ago, DaveS said:

I assumed there would be dozens of aftermarket bezels available. Not only aren't there any aftermarket bezels available

There are for the models into which modders are focused, which are a few, always the same ones. e.g.:https://www.namokimods.com/

If another model Seiko bezel inner diameter is the same as one of the available ones, it should fit.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:07 PM, RedJim said:

Dear All, A question about watch cases. There are loads of donor movements around but what about donor or refurbished cases? Is there anywhere I can find cases for movements? Struggled on Ebay to find anything, I was looking for something for an FHF96 movement but couldn't find anything. Can anyone point me in the direction of a supplier or source for donor/replacment cases? Thanks for your help and hope its not too daft a question.

The reason there are more old movements available than old cases is because many of those old cases were made of gold or silver.  When bullion prices were high a gold or silver cased watch was worth more for the scrap value of the metal in the case that its value as a functioning time piece.   That's especially true of pocket watches and the main reason you can purchase old pocket watches movements on eBay for next to nothing.  

• Like 1

• Mark unpinned this topic
  • Mark pinned this topic