Purchasing Oils In The Us

BlakeL

I'm looking ahead at Time Zone Level 2 course and the oils needed.   It looks like if I get only the ones required then it's 140.99 shipped from Ofrei.  Is there anywhere else people are getting oils from cheaper?  Esslinger does not have a wide selection and some of them are more expensive.

Edited by BlakeL

I know what you mean Blake, I had to bite the bullet! On the other hand, they will last forever since you only use one drop combined for the whole watch...and sometimes that is too much oiling! Just be careful they don't get contaminated by cleaning the oiler every time you dip it.

I feel your pain,  I just dropped $160+ for oils.  

You get them and you are like..."$40 for this??"

post-752-0-03285300-1427833573_thumb.jpg

Then you realize that you could probably lubricate about a million pallet stones with this and it doesn't seem quite as bad.  Investment for the future I suppose.

I'm very confused by the basic/optional recommendations for oil on the TimeZone course site.  They don't seem to match what is recommended on the ETA Technical Sheets I found on Cousins.  I would like to get a basic set that would work for both of these movements. Any Recommendations?

Recommended for TimeZone Level 2 Course:

• Moebius Syntalube 9010
  • Moebius 8141
  • Moebius D-5
  • Glissalube 20
  • PML grease
  • Moebius Syntalube 9020 (replaces 8141 on some train wheels, but 8141 still required)
  • Moebius 9415 (replaces 9010 on pallets, but 9010 still required
Recommended Oils by Tech Sheets:

ETA 2836-2

Fine Oil: 9030

Thick Oil or Grease: Moebius D5 

Grease: Jismaa 124

Special Oil for Pallet Stones: Moebius 941

Unitas 6498:

Thick oil or Grease: Moebius D5

Fine Oil: Moebius 9010

Grease: Moebius 9501

Special Oil for Pallet Stones: Moebius 941 or 9415

Oh Blake, do I know what you mean mate!!

My "Christmas Project" 7750 walkthrough is still on hold due to the expense of all the lubricants I needed to purchase.  I didn't realize just how much it would cost, and it broke the budget for getting the movement holder ... which I need before I can start, and am still saving for at the moment :unsure:

...well at least once you've got them, it's reassuring to know they will last you a long time.

The 2836-2 arrived yesterday and it seems to be in great cosmetic shape.  I tried winding with the rotor but it didn't seem to start so will have to diagnose after disassembly.  It is missing the day wheel and whatever retainer holds that in place as well as the stem so I'll have to order those at some point. As far as the oils, I need to also rewatch Marks 2824 videos to see what all he uses as well.  I honestly just want to get the basics needed to do a full service on these two movements to start out with and then expand once I get more watches that might need different oils.    

Hi Blake,

If in a "hurry", just for the class and to practice your oiling technique, you don't need to go with moebius at all. There are cheaper oils (some as good as moebius) you can use. Check out the oil section (or do a search in the forum). I remember there was an viscosity equivalence posted. Based on that, you can practice with those. I bet you won't spend more than 50 bucks for a full kit. Just remember that in the end you might want to bite the bullet though. Check esslinger for the silicone oils (10, 50 & 100) and the novodiac one...also the Indian silicon grease they sell...just to name a few. Remember this is not optimal!

Worst case scenario, well, nothing a good cleaning can't fix...and with the price of McDonnals, you spend that money easily in one breakfast for the family! :)

Cheers,

Bob

Thought I would share my cheat sheet for lubrication.  I plan to add a new tab to this for Chronograph parts as well as sections for date complications.  

I put this together from Mark's videos.  If anyone sees something glaringly wrong, please let me know and I will fix it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LiO9xEzvBK6C5kfLSarTTbtFMdQmeSaz1ozCHv4RDZg&authuser=0

• Like 2

That's a good start icius. I'll use it and add equivalents and eventually put it here for opinions. That will include cheap substitutions for those that just want to go through the techniques and experimenting.

Cheers,

Bob

Good deal guys.  This is exactly what I was planning on doing with Marks 2824 videos to see what he uses vs the recommendations from TimeZone School and the Technical Sheets. Bob, I'll look forward to your additions for budget options.  I'm still waiting on a few eBay items to sell before I pull the trigger on more watch items.

Edited by BlakeL

• 1 month later...

I'm

Thought I would share my cheat sheet for lubrication.  I plan to add a new tab to this for Chronograph parts as well as sections for date complications.  

I put this together from Mark's videos.  If anyone sees something glaringly wrong, please let me know and I will fix it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LiO9xEzvBK6C5kfLSarTTbtFMdQmeSaz1ozCHv4RDZg&authuser=0

I'm just starting out (hobby) so to me your spreadsheet is a gold mine!  Thank you very much for putting this together and sharing.