Elgin 16s grade 213

Hi Guys  Its not often I get stuck but finding a balance staff for the Elgin 16s Grade 213 model 7 is hard work. Elgin seem to have more varieties than Heinz. The staff length I m sure is 5.17 according to Otto Frei   its a 22BB#7   A, 5.17  B, 2.86  F,0.83  G, 1.12  H, 0.63.  Is there a No one place for Elgin parts or Is Otto frei the one.  thanks.

I would recommend contacting Dave Coatsworth at Dave's Watch Parts. He has a huge selection of balance staffs and significant expertise as well. He has steered me the right way a couple times in the past when I was unsure about the correct staff.

Elgin really was not aiming to "keep it simple" with their parts program, that's for sure.

• Thanks 1

If we had the serial number we could start with the first link to which would give us Grade number and a parts list. But as you already have the Grade number We can use the second link to get the staff number. Then we get the staff number 861 and is a reference that there's variations but we don't get to know what the variations are at least not here.

12 hours ago, watchweasol said:

The staff length I m sure is 5.17 according to Otto Frei   its a 22BB#7   A, 5.17  B, 2.86  F,0.83  G, 1.12  H, 0.63.  Is there a No one place for Elgin parts or Is Otto frei the one

Then number you have here is the bestfit number which is not helpful if I'm looking at Elgin reference material. Then other than the length I'm assuming those numbers came off the website?

Very important for American pocket watch staffs and for that matter any balance staff. Always measure the old one and the new one before putting it into avoid unpleasant surprises.

Attaching some images from two separate sources. Based on your link that looks like an old style. Then the reference found at the second link where it comments about notes somewhere else that's basically found in the second picture of old versus new style and It looks like a difference of roller table hole sizes. Which I don't show up in my reference. Which hopefully means they don't exist.

Then it usually the bestfit staff is oversize see you can reduce it to fit.  Another source of balance staffs is eBay but oftentimes the seller isn't going to know that there's variations.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/

http://www.elginwatchparts.com/

Elgin 861 staff variations.JPG

Elgin 861 staff variations 2.JPG

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Thank you Gentlemen  I shall remove the old balance an take a measurement or two for comparison, at this stage it was an enquirery as I know that referencing Elgin materials is a mine field from what other members have said in the past. Once again thank you.

I found this in my stash is it what you need. I have checked the height and it is indeed 5.33

1E509EAA-F2C2-4B6D-A6F5-AC4D201C5C01.thumb.jpeg.a731afe037c62eaeffed83d045b6ca0f.jpeg

Hello clockboy    removed the balance and the roller fell off so another job , after measuring the staff  The 5.33 looks correct the very tip of the staff has gone leaving a small portion still intact, the watch is in a dirty condition  but case wise cosmeticaly good.   PM me regarding the staff  thanks.