TV or Movie Recommendations

"Weathering with You" on Sky Movies / Sky Go - really beautiful animation.

"Hi Score Girl" on Netflix - one for the 80s / 90s arcade fans.

"Assassination Classroom" - DVD, the live action film, not the manga - brilliant, quite simply brilliant.

"Tales from the Loop" - Prime Video - drink in the visuals and relax.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this morning I must have gone temporarily brain dead as somehow I ended up on Netflix with the movie Hellboy.

Thankfully, I then breathed in and was no longer brain dead. Quickly changed to Big Bang Theory. (my son got me watching it as he associates with Sheldon's OCD)

As for Hellboy, surely you have grass near where you live that you can go and watch growing?

"Dark" Netflix

Originally German, dubbed well enough in English. A watchmaker and watchworks-like device play a central role (though almost ruinously implausible in my opinion, even for the genre). You MUST pay close attention, because there are lots of twists and turns, multiple chronological settings with different actors cast (with more or less success) as the same characters at different ages. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through what's currently available (not sure if it stops at 3 seasons, or is ongoing), but the plot is a bit of a gordian knot. My wife is super into it. It's difficult for me to get really into TV shows, but I'm committed enough to keep going (this is high praise if you know me at all).

"The Expanse" Prime

Fantastic SciFi opera. They pay attention to the physics they must, and ignore what the genre insists they must include but don't yet have an answer for (this is something that can sour me a bit if not at least somewhat believable). The first season or two does a little genre blending a la Firefly, and it's well done. There are three main thematic sections across five seasons, the second of which may represent some shark jumping if they don't bring it back (the theme is absent in the third section, currently in production); I suspect they will. George R.R. Martin is a fan, and said it's how the SciFi genre was meant to be. I have yet to watch Game of Thrones, but I'm given to understand that is high praise.

Edited by spectre6000
  • Like 2