I Hope This Is Not Too Obvious A Question

Andrew, I am tend to be a very disorganized guy. I always marvel at the RE assembly of movements. I do not work on mechanical's but would like to be able to disassemble quartz movements for whatever is required. My question is, how does one keep all of the screws so that the same screw or at least same screw size goes back to where it belongs? I am not sure as to what parts proper names are. Is there a good resource for this as well?

Thanks very much indeed

Todd

Not sure if this is a good method but it works for me.  I just take a quick pic of each piece with my phone as I disassemble it with the screws that go with it.  I can usually tell pretty clearly which screws are which from these.  Examples:

post-752-0-84808200-1427821568_thumb.jpg

post-752-0-85690100-1427821674_thumb.jpg

Taking a picture of the disassembled sections of the movement is great.  I've been separating parts in a large organizer but that requires me to ultrasonic clean each group of parts so I don't get screws mixes up.  This is not very efficient so I might be implementing what icius does in the future.

Taking a picture of the disassembled sections of the movement is great.  I've been separating parts in a large organizer but that requires me to ultrasonic clean each group of parts so I don't get screws mixes up.  This is not very efficient so I might be implementing what icius does in the future.

Yeah once I take my pictures I pretty much don't worry about what is mixed with what in the cleaner.  I know I have my photo documentation to sort it out again once cleaning is done.  I tend to back up the photos to my PC as well but that's just my OCD kicking in (the PC is backed up to three hard drives on two different machines too, but that is another story :) )

Yeah once I take my pictures I pretty much don't worry about what is mixed with what in the cleaner.  I know I have my photo documentation to sort it out again once cleaning is done.  I tend to back up the photos to my PC as well but that's just my OCD kicking in (the PC is backed up to three hard drives on two different machines too, but that is another story :) )

I was doing that for awhile with a media/backup server in the house but now I just pay Google $1.99/month and get 100GB I think.

I sometimes use cheap plastic ice trays I get at wal-mart and keep parts and matching screws together. I also take pics as I dissemble the watch...you can't take too many . Also as my attachment illustrates , when I get to a situation that I particularly want to remember I will use a pointer in my pic...It's kinda like tying a string around your finger so you don't forget...association or trigger symbol if you will .

post-808-0-22628300-1427938458_thumb.jpg 

• Like 1