Sellita SW-200 / ETA 2824 Stem Removal

Can someone anyone everyone please describe how you remove the stem from the SW-200 or 2824 when you just have the movement out? I keep popping the setting lever out of place when I go to take the stem out and put the movement in the case.

If I had three hands it would be great. How am I supposed to hold the movement to access the setting lever detent, use the other hand to depress the screwdriver with a perfect amount of pressure and then also extract the stem/crown without using my mouth?!!!

I understand the stem should only be removed from the time-set position. 

I've now had to remove the hands and dial and reset the keyless works on this current project 4 times because I keep messing up the setting lever!!!! ARGH. ? I think I'll go bonkers if I have to do start over again!

I've replaced the stem on multiple SW-200 movements before, so I'm not sure why this one is so finicky.

On the positive side I now know the keyless works inside and out and can realign everything with confidence! ?

Appreciate any tips, guidance, help here!

Thank you!

Not sure I understand, but when the movement is out I place it in a movement holder (Bergeon 4040) dial down while protecting the dial with a piece of plastic film (the kind to wrap around food). I then gently press the setting lever button with a pointed piece of peg wood (right hand, I'm right handed) while pulling the stem out or pushing it in using my left hand. Hope that helps!

Edited by VWatchie
just added the word "button"
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, firebynight said:

If I had three hands it would be great. How am I supposed to hold the movement to access the setting lever detent, use the other hand to depress the screwdriver with a perfect amount of pressure and then also extract the stem/crown without using my mouth?!!!

Oh dear did we forget to give you the link? The link to the Doctor who can graphically attach it thirdhand we all have three hands we never have these problems. Then the best of us get more than three just think with six hands you can do Are than one watch at a time it really increases productivity quite a bit.

Ideally the movement should be in something either in the case or movement holder. One of your 16 hands can hold that in place.

Did you notice how the opening to get the release is not round? This is where we really need a picture and I'm having a hard time finding a decent picture online. You want to use something big enough so that yes it pushes the button down but it catches on the edge or basically is protruding up and you don't want to push below the protrusion. That's there to keep you from doing what you're doing now. At least that's the theory.

Ideally the watch either should be in the case or in a movement holder you do not want to be holding the watch in your hand. Then with suitable tool you can push down the release. Providing you have more than one finger per hand you can usually have one finger under the edge of the crown like the fingernail and yes you really have enough fingers and hands to do it without using your mouth.

1 minute ago, VWatchie said:

pointed piece of peg wood

He's having a problem with pointy objects. I would avoid the pointy aspect because you risk pushing too far.

• Haha 1

This movement is infamous for its fiddly keyless works. You're not the first person to find stem removal and insertion vexing with it.

As noted earlier, try using a screwdriver that fits through the rectangular "window" over the button. You're less likely to press it too far that way compared to tweezer tips and pointy objects.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WellAdjusted said:

This movement is infamous for its fiddly keyless works. You're not the first person to find stem removal and insertion vexing with it.

As noted earlier, try using a screwdriver that fits through the rectangular "window" over the button. You're less likely to press it too far that way compared to tweezer tips and pointy objects.

Thanks! I'm using 1.2mm that's the widest screwdriver that will fit. But somehow I'm still pushing it out of alignment?!!

3 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Not sure I understand, but when the movement is out I place it in a movement holder (Bergeon 4040) dial down while protecting the dial with a piece of plastic film (the kind to wrap around food). I then gently press the setting lever with a pointed piece of peg wood (right hand, I'm right handed) while pulling the stem out or pushing it in using my left hand. Hope that helps!

Thank you @VWatchiethis is a helpful tip. I gave the plastic film in the movement holder a try. And it's definitely better than what I was doing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Sometimes unfortunately hard to find because sometimes the wording is incorrect. But always worth a look may be somebody else has asked your question before. Here's a link with a nice picture which explains what I was trying to say .

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/9981-stem-removal-on-sellita-sw200-1/

Thanks @JohnR725that's helpful and I'm aware and only use a 1.2mm. But somehow I still keep jamming it out of alignment once it's in the case!!! The other SW-200 weren't this crazy finnicky. I remember just lightly depressing the setting lever and sliding the stem back in with no problems.

Do I keep it depressed and rotate until it clicks in? Could it be that I'm not pressing it enough and somehow that makes the stem push the lever out of place when I put it back?

I pulled out a 2824 parts movement to confirm your issue. It's a big issue, as you've learned, if you don't know how and why it was designed. Where you depress the detent, note the slot shape of the hole. This is intended so you depress the detent with a 1.2mm screwdriver, nothing smaller. When the screwdriver blade bottoms out, the detent is at the correct amount to remove the stem, but not so deep that it causes the frustration you've experienced. My guess is that you are using a small enough driver blade that you push it too far. (We've all done this a few times by the way. Call it education.)

20210215_091008.jpg

20210215_091336.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Repivot said:

Where you depress the detent, note the slot shape of the hole. This is intended so you depress the detent with a 1.2mm screwdriver, nothing smaller. When the screwdriver blade bottoms out, the detent is at the correct amount to remove the stem, but not so deep that it causes the frustration you've experienced.

That is a clever design help, perhaps it was added to alleviate the constraining trap of removing only from the setting position - something unheard on most other mov.ts, Seiko to begin with.

Anyway, personally I don't follow the practice of the shaped hole. I just trust my able hand to push just enough for the stem to come out being gently pulled by the other. Which has not failed me yet.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jdm said:

Anyway, personally I don't follow the practice of the shaped hole. I just trust my able hand to push just enough for the stem to come out being gently pulled by the other. Which has not failed me yet.

So, you're using the famous "Fingerspitzengefühl", and so do I. Anyway, I never even realized the slot shape of the hole was there for a practical reason, but now that I'm aware of it I just might try using a screwdriver the next time.

Edited by VWatchie