New Screws (6 off) For Must de Cartier 21

DeepBlue

Question

I want to replace the six (6) tiny screws on the back of this Cartier quartz watch.  Does anyone know where I can buy new ones at a modest price?  I will change them when I change the battery.  If anyone knows where I can buy a new seal at the same time then that would be a bonus!

Ladies watch

Cartier Quartz

Must de Cartier 21

Red crocodile skin strap (Made in Austria CMK – Cartier KD40ZF02), silver and gold face with red numbering, blue hands, blue sapphire jewel winder

Swiss Made

Water Resistant 1340

PL 22051

CartierScrews.jpg

4 answers to this question

Hi paul,  

There is always some dirt residue round the backplate of used watches, so cleaning round the back prior to removal is always a good idea, a used tooth brush will do, a spec of that dirt falling inside the case as you are removing the backplate can find its way into the movement causing issues.

Best wishes

Joe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi paul,  

There is always some dirt residue round the backplate of used watches, so cleaning round the back prior to removal is always a good idea, a used tooth brush will do, a spec of that dirt falling inside the case as you are removing the backplate can find its way into the movement causing issues.

Best wishes

Joe

Yes, I have an old carbon fibre toothbrush - very fine bristles!  I did another Cartier earlier with six tiny screws - used the toothbrush and some IPA sprayed on the back - cleaned up really well so I could get purchase with the 1.2 mm screwdriver.  You're right those screws get covered with dirt!  Wanted to get new screws for this watch though as I think they've been chewed a bit (wife previously sent it to Cartier each time for a battery change - said she must have spent well over $1,000 on battery changes over the years - no more - will do it myself!).

3 hours ago, clockboy said:

Cousins is a good source they have a really good selection 

Is that cousinsuk.com?  Thanks for the tip - I'll have to have a look!  Thanks again!

• Similar Content

• By DeepBlue
      Hi,

It's Paul here from Melbourne Australia. Just recently pulled out a box of watches that were in a cupboard - going to get them all working hopefully! I'm an absolute watch newbie! I like working on cars and so decided to have a go at fixing these watches (Youtube, internet and forums are a great help!) while in COVID-19 lockdown.

I have replaced a battery in one Cartier and one Longines so far - both working now! I have a bright torch, magnifying glass and a very cheap set of jewellers screwdrivers. I was very careful with the Cartier as it had six tiny screws holding the back case on - my eyes aren't as good as they used to be!!!

Anyway, hoping someone can help with a Cartier clasp (stainless steel and gold plate Must de Cartier 21) shown here in thumbnail.

One half of the clasp holds securely (hole fits tightly over the post), the other half doesn't. I assume that over time, the hole on one side has been worn and is now too big to fit snugly over its corresponding post? What are my possible options here?

Replace part/s of the bracelet? (Not sure where I can get new/used parts.)
      Build up the offending post or offending hole - use some JB-Weld?

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• By MechanicMike
      greetings all-been a few months since I've visited hope all is well with everyone. question: do any charts exist telling of American screw thread sizes for vintage pocket watches? I seem to be having a tough time finding anything other than the fact that back then prior to the 1955 "thread summit" I'll call it, where the European and American powers-that-be agreed on a universal standard thread pitch across the board(UNM miniature), that European was metric and American was their standard inch pitches, with the exception of Elgin and Waltham, who made their own specific(adding to my frustrating confusion) threads. I have threaded holes I need to repair and/or chase, and I'd just like to have it handy if I need it. maybe I haven't looked deep enough? 
      Bueller, anyone?
    • By agregate
      Hello everyone,
      I own an old Elgin pocket watch and am trying to remove the screws to the main barrel and the stem but they are extremely tight to the point that I'm finding it impossible to remove them - even with a lot of force and pressure.
      I do not want to damage my watch as it is an antique but at the same time do not want to send it to a professional if I can get it undone myself.
      I've tried different sized screwdrivers to no avail, and understanding that it is a no-no, I've even used a cotton swab to apply WD-40 directly to the screw. I do not know if the screw has rusted or not - the watch itself is immaculate so I see no reason for the screws alone to rust.
      Does anybody have experience removing stuck screws from their watches or pocket watches? These things are absolutely tiny!
    • By PaulnKC
      All,
      I recently acquired a beautiful 1954 Omega with a near-mint 266 movement.

Which I have posted about in another question regarding broken screw extraction.
      You can't tell from this photo - but one of the movement case mounting screws is broken in half.
      I believe I should be able to extract the broken part of the screw - thanks to the help of members input on that other post.
      BUT - now my question is, where to find replacement screw(s) [specifically the case movement mounting screws]?
      My preference would be to find something that looks correct - but if that's not possible, then something that looks good and works.
      I didn't think it would be that difficult - but I haven't been able to find anything thus far.
      Any ideas or source would be greatly appreciated.
      Many thanks,
      -Paul
    • By PaulnKC
      All,
      I recently acquired a beautiful 1954 Omega with a near-mint 266 movement.

I am thrilled with the condition of this watch.
      However, there is one fault that I'd like to take care of if I can.
      You can't tell in this picture, but one of the movement screws is broken with about half of the screw stuck in the base plate.
      Is there anything like an easy-out for watch-size screws? Or some other method for removing a broken screw? I don't want to risk damaging the plate as it is in otherwise near-perfect condition. And the broken movement screw still has enough threads to function.
      BUT - if there is a safe way to extract the broken part, I would like to do.
      I can post some pics of the screw and plate (if that would help), but I would have to post those later, as I don't have them with me.
      Many thanks,
      -Paul