Must de Cartier 21 - Bracelet clasp only half-working!

DeepBlue

Hi,

It's Paul here from Melbourne Australia. Just recently pulled out a box of watches that were in a cupboard - going to get them all working hopefully! I'm an absolute watch newbie! I like working on cars and so decided to have a go at fixing these watches (Youtube, internet and forums are a great help!) while in COVID-19 lockdown.

I have replaced a battery in one Cartier and one Longines so far - both working now! I have a bright torch, magnifying glass and a very cheap set of jewellers screwdrivers. I was very careful with the Cartier as it had six tiny screws holding the back case on - my eyes aren't as good as they used to be!!!

Anyway, hoping someone can help with a Cartier clasp (stainless steel and gold plate Must de Cartier 21) shown here in thumbnail.

One half of the clasp holds securely (hole fits tightly over the post), the other half doesn't. I assume that over time, the hole on one side has been worn and is now too big to fit snugly over its corresponding post? What are my possible options here?

Replace part/s of the bracelet? (Not sure where I can get new/used parts.)
Build up the offending post or offending hole - use some JB-Weld?

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cartier.jpg

9 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Don't like to disappoint you but that is a fake Cartier. Best advice would be buy another watch  bracelet. 

It was bought 25 years ago and has had the battery changed several times by Cartier shop - why didn't they say?

13 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Don't like to disappoint you but that is a fake Cartier. Best advice would be buy another watch  bracelet. 

Guessing a new bracelet would be expensive/hard to source - might put things on the backburner then. 

26 minutes ago, DeepBlue said:

It was bought 25 years ago and has had the battery changed several times by Cartier shop - why didn't they say?

Sorry, bought in 1999.  I just changed the battery on this watch and it looks spot on inside with all the exact markings on the movement - can't spot any difference at all with official pics off the internet.  Is it the clasp?  We had the battery in this very watch and a Cartier Tank watch changed several years ago by the Cartier shop in Sydney - cost a mint to change the batteries!  Disappointed they didn't say anything.  Ah well.

On 2/15/2021 at 12:11 AM, oldhippy said:

One of my son's friend's family owns a fairly large Cash Converters Shop in Melbourne.  Anyway, after what you said I took it to him at his shop yesterday when I was passing by.  He had a good long look, and even opened up the back to look inside - he told me it is 100% genuine.  Was there anything in particular that makes you say it is fake? 

Fake or genuine, you still want the clasp to close securely, right? If you are near to a Cartier dealer, why not ask them about the possibility of replacement or repair?

Failing that, or if you have decided to have a go at it yourself, then we need some better pictures. I imagine you are right about either the pin or the hole having worn, although another possibility is, if the clasp is bent so that the folding leaves do not lie snugly against one another, then they spring open.

Unfortunately, I cannot see from those photos how the pin and the hole clip together. Is there some kind of spring inside the hole? Do the pins have a mushroom-shaped head? Can you see any signs of wear?