Dial cleaning recommendations for tarnished numbers

Question

Does anyone have any experience cleaning up tarnished numbers? I have a 1962 Timex Marlin that needs a little bit of work to really show it's potential. 

The dial is in nice shape for the most part other than the numbers....I would be open to any suggestions??

Thanks in advance! 

Jamie

edit: I suspect the tarnish was caused by deterioration of the lume dots that have NOT aged well...

PXL_20210213_234110764.jpg

PXL_20210213_234208349.jpg

PXL_20210213_234128113.jpg

Edited by terrapinrecs

5 answers to this question

Yikes, those look like the plating has lifted up off the numerals in some areas.

I think one technique is to "charge" up the tip of some pegwood with a polishing compound like cerium oxide or jeweler's rouge, and use that to polish the numerals. You can shape the tip of the pegwood as needed, and just rub it in the powder with a little water before you use it on the numbered area.  Haven't actually tried it myself though 😉

If you can clean up the numerals and relume the dial and hands, I think it will look quite nice.

Edited by KOwatch
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, KOwatch said:

I think one technique is to "charge" up the tip of some pegwood with a polishing compound like cerium oxide or jeweler's rouge, and use that to polish the numerals. You can shape the tip of the pegwood as needed, and just rub it in the powder with a little water before you use it on the numbered area.  Haven't actually tried it myself though 😉

If you can clean up the numerals and relume the dial and hands, I think it will look quite nice.

Thanks for the recommendation! I will give this a shot if I fail to find an easier solution (I don't expect an easier one haha, just still fishing). Unfortunately I do not have another dial with similar corrosion to experiment on so I will be going in raw on this one when I do attempt a fix. 

Jamie

You may find the playing comes off the numerals if you use abrasive. I’d try plain peg wood, or peg wood supplied in water or lighter fluid first. 

• Like 1

watching with interest 🙂  but my experience tells me the results will not be much and by disturbing the dial the remaining lume dots may likely fall off too.

• Like 1

I just sold a Vostok project that required work on numerals. I taped a little piece of sandpaper to the end of my pegwood with double-sided tape and very carefully removed tarnishing. Then I used a combination of rodico, precision qtips, and automotive buffing compound to polish. Finished with a few coats of pen electroplating silver.

• Like 3

• Similar Content

• By PiercePrzybyla
      Hey, new to the hobby and found myself starting with old timex watches. I have found that when I swapped my m24 movement with an m72 movement my second hand will slip and fall to the 6 o'clock position when the face is held perpendicular to the ground. Any ideas for a newbie?
    • By HectorLooi
      This was sitting in my junk pile for some time. I was looking for a spare contact wire for one of my Timex Electrics, and I remembered that the Timex Electronic has a contact wire. But when I opened it up, it was a totally different beast inside.
      The movement number on the dial plate is 882, which I checked up is a M87. The balance appeared fine. So I put a battery in to see if it would fire up. And it does!
      After cleaning it up, it doesn't look half bad. And now I have to continue searching for a contact wire....

• By HectorLooi
      I started disassembling this Timex 21 jewel M75 last night. Having an obsessive compulsive nature, I couldn't stop at just removing the calender works and soaking the movement in naptha. I removed almost everything except the mainspring. Including every endstone. 
      I have not seen any other watch with so many endstones. My question is, what oil do I use for a Timex? Do I use the whole gamut of D5, 9010, 9415, molykote DX...?
      All other Timex posts on this forum only mention oiling but don't talk about what oil to use.
      I'm sure JerseyMo must be shaking his head and laughing so hard now. 

• By HectorLooi
      I just received my Timex Q Quartz. It is running fine but appears to have fungus on the dial. Battery hatch gasket was missing and the case gasket was damaged. 
      Full of lint inside. There was a whole ring of lint wound around the winding stem. Looked like a felt washer. 
      And I found another "felt washer" under the hands. Should have taken photos of it to see if it would win any prize.
      In spite if all the foreign bodies inside, the watch was still keeping good time.
      Can anyone identify the movement inside?
      I would be grateful if someone could post the tech sheet for this movement. 

• By RobRoy
      Hello forum, this is my first time posting.
      I found my great-grandfathers Timex maybe about a year ago, and to my dismay, it wound right up some 50 years later. From what I can tell, it looks to be a viscount model maybe pre-1960s? Possibly closest to a model 31 movement. My area of expertise is really limited to owning battery operated watches, so I'm hoping someone could help.
      I was using my hand to hit a wrench for my car and I didn't even notice I had my watch on. The movement stopped and from then on it's been acting funky, basically just stopping randomly throughout the day, but then restarting. When I take off the case and manually wind the rotor with my fingers, it will continue to run for quite some time, but once I try to wind it with the crown and stem or maybe even shake the watch it may only last a few moments.
      I hope someone may be able to help me diagnose some potential sources of this, since I would love to keep wearing my great-grandfathers watch. I've attached pictures too