Loose Hour Hand Tube, How Do You Secure?

I am coming across more, and more loose hand tubes these days with the various watches I have in for repair, and was wondering what methods you use to secure the hand tube to the hand to prevent it from spinning again?

I have tried broaching, pin vice etc, but the success rate is 50/50 right about now.

• Like 1

new hands...!

TBH..nothing makes it back to perfect.. metal, once expanded will always want to stay expanded.

Example with sheet metal (panel beaters).. it is only with applied heat and selective cooling (heat transferred from the surface to the head of the hammer/dolly) that dents can be repaired, not exactly applicable for watches.

If every watchmaker used proper hand-pullers and correct hand-setters then this problem would not exist! its when they get at an angle that the tube expands beyond limits.

Anil

• Like 1

Micky. If the hand is loose then I mount it in a pin vice and tighten it little by little until the job is done. I have a very high success rate this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have tried that Mark, and normally its ok, but for example, a hand I have right now, it has a large face polished area and I am very worried if I sneeze it anymore with my pin vice it will show a buckle in the finish.

That's a difficult one then. I have not tried this, but my experiment mind is kicking in, perhaps coating the inside of the hour hand tube with an epoxy. The when it is fully hardened to broach it to size. This may possibly work and would be non-destructive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Its the tube of the hour hand, its loose, and the tube fits the pinion perfectly, but the hand itself spins due to being loose off a the tube, its a two part construction, the hand itself, and the tube, the tube has a lip on the underside, I could put a dot or two of adhesive on there I guess.

If you have a lathe and a staking set, you could make a mandrel to allow you to nip it up with a suitable punch. It certainly wouldn't take much to tighten it.

I just had a second thought, could you work some loctite retainer into the joint then clean off the excess? Once set then fit the hand. If it worked there would be little chance of any blemishes on the hand.

Its the tube of the hour hand, its loose, and the tube fits the pinion perfectly, but the hand itself spins due to being loose off a the tube, its a two part construction, the hand itself, and the tube, the tube has a lip on the underside, I could put a dot or two of adhesive on there I guess.

Hmmm interesting . Two part construction , so the hand on the hour hand slips on the on the tube that pushes down on the pinion . Like the rivet that binds them has come loose . So as was suggested you would have to stake it back together or use something like lock tite or [eek] epoxy .

Could the tube be split ?

post-808-0-26930400-1428137952_thumb.png

• 4 years later...