Old Roamer Anfibio case problem.

Flubber

Hi all,

I bought a really nice ladies watch in an auction (20 £) and I had great problems opening the case back. When I finally got it opened,I was puzzled since the whole movement was snuggly fitted into case back that was actually more than just a lid to open. I'm beginning to suspect that the watch was really intended to be opened from the glass side (like the Omega Cosmic). Any help on how to get the movement freed from the back so I may service it would be greatly appreciated. 

C50F52BA-95BC-4ADE-8538-2EC5C3EEC782.jpeg

0667B2E6-94BB-4609-829D-338DDD8DE5DB.jpeg

Edited by Flubber

Looks like a two piece or "split" stem. Roamer used this type of case quite a lot.

Try turning it upside down and slowly turning the crown. If you're lucky then when the joint between the two halves of the stem is aligned vertically the movement will just drop out, make sure that it has something soft to land on.

If this doesn't work then you will need to pull the crown with enough force to pull the two halves of the stem apart, releasing the movement.

• Thanks 1

It might be a split stem.  If you hold the whole thing upside down and slowly turn the crown, you may find that the dial and movement fall out the front when the split stem is oriented properly.  In theory you could force the crown out but if I'm wrong, you might damage something

• Thanks 1

It too looks as if there is reflector ring around the perimeter of the dial. I suspect this is just friction fit in the case to help hold the movement in place. Use a sharpened piece of peg wood or plastic pic to try to pull this up from the dial before proceeding as others have suggested with the stem/crown.

Edited by Repivot
  • Like 1

Indeed, you were all correct. The movement did not fall out by itself but after pulling the crown (surprisingly hard) the stem split in two and after removing the reflector ring as suggsted by @Repivot I managed to get the movement free. A beautiful movement almost in mint condition. I should NOT have removed the case back and I made som scratches on it in my attempts. Well, You live and you learn. Thank you guys !

A3163EC5-ED01-4889-A099-B6E135F7C9AE.jpeg

8F201D94-630C-4ECD-A6DE-D40AF7217E9B.jpeg

Edited by Flubber