New here..

amello

Hello. I've always had a fascination with time keeping pieces even though I've never particularly cared about being on time for much of anything. I spend most of my adult life being late for everything and didn't really care, but i still love nice watches and clocks.. My bailiwick is mainly in woodworking and not horology.. Also over the years (I'm kind of old these days I've been exposed to a litany of toxic chemicals to the point my hands shake just too much to start taking watches apart much less putting them back together) not to mention the old eyeballs probably aren't good enough anymore for that kind of stuff.

I'm hoping to find someone skilled enough to change the movement in a Seiko 5 I purchased online from someone in India for cheap. I suspect it simply had cheap parts stuck in it, but I really have no idea.. Anyone care to give a reasonable price? Hey! if you live anywhere near me, South Carolina I'd even be willing to build you a nice new hardwood cabinet to work from in exchange, but that's a long shot I know.. 

Anyone? 

Edited by amello

The mechanism in the Indian watches may be genuine (although it is unlikely to have been services particularly well, if at all). The dials and hands on the other hand are a mixed bunch at best. Some are genuine, others repainted, and others still are fabricated from old dials. One or two I've seen, seem to be made from recycled soft drinks cans.

By the way I have a number of Indian watches, and a particular soft spot for HMT watches which, if genuine, are Indian manufactured Citizen mechanisms. Good condition HMT watches are actually quite reliable and well made.

Don't be surprised if your "Mumbia Special" Seiko turns out to have an HMT mechanism in it.

Show us some pictures, and we can advise.

Edited by AndyHull

Hi Amello and welcome. I bought one of these when I first started to practice on. It has a genuine Seiko movement all be it the wrong one for the case ?

Having stripped and servicing it it has been running well for the past 6 months, fingers crossed then.

Graham

I'm sure I can get this thing apart. I'm still pretty good at destruction methods, just not so great at reconstruction unless it's made of much larger, less delicate parts. Hammer? Sledge? Bolt cutters? Chop saw?  Nah..I can do this.. I have lots of little tools good at little things.. Give me a day.. ?

I'm sure I can get this thing apart. I'm still pretty good at destruction methods, just not so great at reconstruction unless it's made of much larger, less delicate parts. Hammer? Sledge? Bolt cutters? Chop saw?  Nah..I can do this.. I have lots of little tools good at little things.. Give me a day.. ?

Edit: That didn't take too long even though I have no watch tools so a piece of wood with two nails pounded in at the right locations didn't work and bent both nails so a vise and a small screwdriver and a small hammer did do the trick..MAN! This thing was put in there TIGHT, but here's what I got..

It's actually running, but keeping horrible time. 

I'm not terribly opposed to buying another watch that actually runs and keeps good time. The current clunker on my wrist is a Peugeot quartz fancy schmancy piece of junk I bought as a backup when the money was low..Turns out I needed the backup because I'm not the easiest person on a watch in my wood shop and I did grow up wearing a watch so I am completely naked without one on my wrist.. 

20210212_144847.jpg

20210212_144836_1.jpg

Edited by amello