Early Patek-style 10L cannon pinion removal

Woolshire

Any ideas on this one? When I turn the cannon pinion, the center wheel pivot in the top plate also turns (but not center wheel pinion). Has me scratching my head. I tried to pull it off, but not budging on this one. I’m assuming I’m missing something and don’t want to break it, obviously.

BD4E2F0A-95F2-4192-AC4E-C52E05EFFA84.jpeg

D14197DF-0300-471E-808D-62E07C30AF24.jpeg

I'm by no means an expert but first take off the center wheel bridge so you could get a better view. If they're connected, it will come out in one piece, if it's obvious that that the cannon pinion is friction fitted above the main plate, it could be just stuck due to grime and yoy can try and gently pry the center wheel off from below. This is what I would do.

This is the old style with a pin that goes all the way through the center wheel. The canon pinion is a tight fit, and the clutch action is the pin slipping in the wheel arbor.

Is the center wheel jeweled on the bridge? If so, remove the bridge, and support the wheel in a staking set, and give a sharp tap on the protruding bit out of the canon pinion. If you try it with the bridge on you'll break the jewel. If it's not jeweled you can do the same thing but with the bridge in place.

This is a holdover from key set watches, where the pin would have a square on it bridge side. If the bridge is jeweled invariably the head of the pin will pass through the jewel for safe removal. On non jeweled pieces the pin head may be larger than the hole in the bridge so you have to knock it out with the bridge in place.

Edited by nickelsilver
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The center wheel is jeweled. Using the staking set makes good sense. I could tell the jewel was in danger... Thanks!

I’m new to Swiss watches. Very used to American. The other day I was asking about (what I now know) is a pin-set watch. I’ve worked on hundreds of American watches but never saw a pin-set in the bunch. I’m sure everyone was thinking this dummy doesn’t know what pin-set is...sorry about that. Always learning!

Also, any servicing videos or how-to’s on this style watch? I’ve come into several and would like to get them serviced, but having trouble finding much on them.

Edited by Woolshire

23 minutes ago, Woolshire said:

Very used to American

If you work on older American watches something like this or similar to this will show up for key winding and setting.  On the backside will be a square for setting and the pin goes through exactly like what you have here. Unfortunately it doesn't always protrude beyond the cannon pinion. Unlike these watches where it sixth out beyond which is usually a clue that it has to be driven out.

• Like 1