What Is The Best Way To Attach The Balance Spring

I received a new complete spring assembly. It has a metal piece on the end that pressure fits between a two-pronged fork.

What's the best way to attach it?

I tried holding the balance bridge with a pair of tweezers while holding the end of the spring with another pair and I can't make any headway.

It's a 2836-2 movement.

Thanks.

I received a new complete spring assembly. It has a metal piece on the end that pressure fits between a two-pronged fork.

What's the best way to attach it?

I tried holding the balance bridge with a pair of tweezers while holding the end of the spring with another pair and I can't make any headway.

It's a 2836-2 movement.

Thanks.

You dissasemble the whole movement,put the balance complete in its place,set the bridge above it and screw it in on the mainplate.move the regulating pins and fork which holds the stud as far as posible.

using fine tweezers put the hairspring between regulating pins, put the stud in place "between the fork" as you say press it towards the jewel center using brass tweezers

Voala!

br

emso

p.s: sent from my s****y phone so sorry for typing mistakes

Edited by emso
  • Like 1

You dissasemble the whole movement,put the balance complete in its place,set the bridge above it and screw it in on the mainplate.move the regulating pins and fork which holds the stud as far as posible.

using fine tweezers put the hairspring between regulating pins, put the stud in place "between the fork" as you say press it towards the jewel center using brass tweezers

Voala!

br

emso

Thanks. I got the stud in. Now about the other regulating pin; I see that it's slotted.

Do place the spring in the slot and pinch it close or let sit in the open slot?

It sits in the slot.

1.Get the watch in beat first.. tick equals the tock.. Not easy without a timing machine.

2.Once in beat twist the stud carrier (end of the hairspring) around in its slot to get the best  possible 'shape' for the hairspring coils.

3.Check if hairspring is touching the sides of the regulating pins..adjust the regulating pins by rotating the carrier in its slot.

4.You  may find that the 'shape' of the coils has changed so you may need to repeat steps 2-3 a few times.

Sounds tedious but believe me, this is a step in the right direction compared to the old way... especially with hairsprings pinned to the stud!

Anil

@anilv

At what point do we have to bend the hairspring (for it to be perfectly centered and also to pass in the midle between the regulator pins), and, more importantly, where do we do that bend? At the beginning of the 'dog-leg'?

Edited by matabog

The dogleg's purpose in life is to bring the end of the hairspring to the level where it meets the stud 'square'.

Another way to put it would all the coils need to be concentric, it is only at the end of the hairspring that it needs to be brought in one with the stud via the dogleg.

Basically it only needs to be as long as it needs to pass thru the reg pins..

Hth

Thanks. I got the stud in. Now about the other regulating pin; I see that it's slotted.

Do place the spring in the slot and pinch it close or let sit in the open slot?

Yes you put it between pins and close the regulating pins. Just to stop the hairspring faling out of them

The regulating pins from the etachron system shoald not be removed as it is not needed in any case if not damaged

br

emso