How do you take your tea?

On 2/15/2021 at 2:57 AM, AshF said:

While I was in Africa I was introduced to Masala Chai.  Once I had my first cup I couldn't get enough of it.  I've tried to reproduce the flavour here in the UK but I can't.  Some things just have a time and a place, it's not the taste, it's the surroundings, the people you're with, the situation you're in.

I just discovered this in the supermarket. 20210401_125126.thumb.jpg.ecdc2830bed9d07bcc469f758ad48624.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 4:03 PM, watchweasol said:

Managed to get hold of some, main constituant is Black tea with cloves , cinnamon, cardoman, and all spice, ginger.  In various proportions, and  I must admit it is refreshing.

This might be anathema to mention around the Brits, but that sounds like it would be very good iced.

17 minutes ago, AshF said:

@PastorChrisI remember the first time I went to America and asked for a tea.  What I got was not tea, it was an abomination.  Ice tea, lol, the last thing you want to drink in Britain is something cold (except on our 2 days of summer).

It is a lovely sunny day here in Chester, New Jersey, and I just sat down to a tall glass of iced Yorkshire Gold!

• Haha 1

Have you guys tried bubble tea? It's an iced tea with tapioca pearls and a variety of other toppings. It originated in Taiwan and was a big fad here in Singapore several years ago and it looks like it's here to stay.

Depending on the recipe, a 500ml cup could contain 3x the amount of sugar as a can of Coke! But after our health ministry declared war on it, most outlets allow you to customize the level of sugar from 0% to 100%. 

I wonder if anyone has asked for more than 100%... ?

I tried bubble tea...once. I couldn’t get past the feel of the tapioca pearls (like big fish eggs) and the INSANE level of sweetness. My kids think it’s great though (go figure!). 

On the original topic, I prefer cream and one sugar. I’ve never been able to do the whole “lemon in tea” thing. My wife likes a lemon in her iced tea, water, Diet Coke, you name it...I always set mine to the side. ? 

As for tea, has anyone tried Steven Smith’s teas, out of Portland? I’m an Earl Gray guy and have been addicted to their Lord Bergamot. Even got one of my Brit coworkers drinking it and asking me to bring some whenever I visited. She was intensely suspicious of American tea (I recall her calling our teas “swill”), but now says it’s her favorite. They have a number of other blends I enjoy. 

Last question - any Lapsang Souchong fans? My dad and I enjoy it...call it “beach fire brew.” Once he was drinking it in a meeting and ended up having to convince a coworker that no, she did not smell smoke, there was no fire, and it was all his tea...

Dave

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 7:48 PM, HectorLooi said:

Have you guys tried bubble tea? It's an iced tea with tapioca pearls and a variety of other toppings. It originated in Taiwan and was a big fad here in Singapore several years ago and it looks like it's here to stay.

Depending on the recipe, a 500ml cup could contain 3x the amount of sugar as a can of Coke! But after our health ministry declared war on it, most outlets allow you to customize the level of sugar from 0% to 100%. 

I wonder if anyone has asked for more than 100%... ?

Bubble tea is popular in the US, at least in the more populated coastal region of the mid-atlantic where I live. My 13 year old, Jake, is especially fond of the taro flavor bubble tea they serve at the local sushi restaurant!

And to offer my opinions on several previous posts, not that anyone asked for them, but since I started the thread I've decided it's appropriate. LOL

I have tried lapsang souchong and don't care for it. I like my campfires to smell like campfires but not my tea. It is also notoriously bad form for someone to put pine on a campfire, even in a pine forest, because it implies a level of laziness; being a soft wood it is easier to cut and lighter to carry, plus it smells like turpentine. LS tea has always smelled to me as though is was smoked over pine chips.

Earl Grey tastes like tea with furniture polish in it. 

?

Edited by PastorChris
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, PastorChris said:

And to offer my opinions on several previous posts, not that anyone asked for them, but since I started the thread I've decided it's appropriate. LOL

I have tried lapsang souchong and don't care for it. I like my campfires to smell like campfires but not my tea. It is also notoriously bad form for someone to put pine on a campfire, even in a pine forest, because it implies a level of laziness; being a soft wood it is easier to cut and lighter to carry, plus it smells like turpentine. LS tea has always smelled to me as though is was smoked over pine chips.

Earl Grey tastes like tea with furniture polish in it. 

?

See, that's the problem with forums like these...people just can't get their feelings across properly, as I'm really confused as to whether you like LS...or Earl Gray.  ? 

Oh well, I will continue drinking both...to each his own!

• Like 1

I have some lapsang souchong, but I haven't tried it yet. When I opened the bag and took a sniff, it smelled like I had stuck my head in the fireplace (no, I've only done that when the fireplace is cold).

So we'll see ?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I have never tried furniture polish.? I can say myself I don't like Earl Gray

I think Earl Gray is an acquired taste. I hated it when I first tried it. Now I find it tolerable. Eventually I might find it ok. ?

But what do you think of tea used in confections and other foods. Like matcha cakes ?, Earl Gray cheesecake ?, duck smoked with tea leaves ?, etc...?