vintage case impossible to plate

Question

I am trying to restore a watch that is the same as the bellow one and I am struggling heaps to plate it's case with nickel.

First I thought it was something wrong with my setup, pickle, contamination, voltage/amperage, etc... but does not seem likely as other brass and stainless parts plated perfectly both in copper or Nickel or gold.

If I try to plate nickel directly it just peels, blister and streak. No matter voltage and amperage. So I made a copper base but it is not coming out clean. Has blisters, dark spots. 

It made me thing that the case must have some zinc in it. When I did my pickle with muriatic acid it bubbled crazy same as when I stripped zinc bolts. 

So... any idea of what metals were used to make these cases back in the day?

image.thumb.png.79e741e236a16d758d9dcd68b3d67862.png

2 answers to this question

I experienced something like this before. It was a trench watch. It just bubbles like crazy in the plating solutions. I eventually gave up on it, in fact I couldn't remember anything about it until I read your post.

I suspect it was made of pure zinc or some alloy of it. I'll probably powder coat it and bake it.

I could manage to get it plated but not very good. But still better than it was before. The main issue was that I had to sand way to many times the case to remove the plaiting failures. So unfortunately most of the sharpness of the case was lost... :^(

After the fist sanding I managed to get the sides levelled, seams pretty small and sharp, but it was all lost by trying to get the plating to stick. :^(

The top ring is brass so the plating was perfect. 

The back case was stainless. Did not go so well because I did not have the stainless activator.

I did one layer of copper pen plating. Then a layer of gold 24k. Then a mixed layer with 80% gold and 20%copper by mixing the solutions. Turned out on a really nice rose gold. 

I am thinking about buying the very same case and then just follow what actually worked on this one and do it perfect. 

IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0765.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

image.png

• Like 2

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Hello Not really a watch question, however I thought I would it it a try. I have a couple of Silver Beer Mugs that are tarnished and all I have to clean them with is the L & R Ultrasonic Watch Cleaning Solution (ammoniated) and a ultrasonic machine. I also have the L & R Ultrasonic Watch Cleaning Solution and an Ultrasonic machine. Does anyone know if I can use these two products on the silver beer mugs or should I get another type of cleaner> Also should I be diluting the cleaning and rinse solutions?  Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided. Michael
    • Hi JDM - Thanks for the detailed reply. The Bezel only looks like a rotating time ring, but it's just a "faux" divers watch, only rated to 50m. I think the Seiko "Solar Power" version actually had a rotating ring and Tritium on the hands and numbers and was rated to 200m or something. But, the bezel is fixed. Also, there are no "indent" or any indication that you could use a Snap Back knife to open the bezel. If this is not indeed a screw off bezel (using a screw type base wrench), then a 4 blade bezel tool is likely the only thing that will remove it. Then I'll need to figure out how the stem is removed so I can remove the whole movement to get to the Cap which I assume is underneath. Other owners on some other watch forums have reported the same experience I had with my Lorus/ Seiko 851 model, the Capacitor fails after only 8 to 10 years and nothing like the "promised" 80 years (Life Time Warranty they refuse to obey). Quite a few owners wrote that they had the Capacitor replaced, but no details on HOW. Read my response above to "watchweasol". There's been some conflict about which capacitor to use as well since the original 2023 24T / MT920 was discontinued 30 years ago (probably the reason all these Lorus Solar watch never met the 80-year promise. Supposedly the replacement Cap is a 3023 24T now. The word in some forums is that this Maxell Cap will last 30 to 40 years. The Seiko Kenetic watches supposedly also use this same Capacitor. Have you ever worked on the Seiko Solar version of this Lorus? Thanks.    
    • @watchweasol - I  know that was the Seiko "company line" for both the Seiko and Lorus branded "Solar Power" versions, but there are an awful lot of folks that bought both and found the Capacitor died, like mine, only after 8 to 10 years and did have the Capacitor replaced with at first the original 2023 24T version and then the 3023 24T, which is apparently a much longer lived replacement. Seiko's "promise" of an 80-year life for this Capacitor was all hooey and likely the reason Seiko quickly dropped both their own branded model and the Lorus ones after just 10 years on the market. Both Seiko and Lorus (who is no longer in North America) refuse to honor the "life time" warranty. One of the reasons I now trust Casio more than Seiko for warranty promises. The movement in the Lorus is literally the exact same one that was in the 3 "Solar Power" Seiko mens models, a Seiko NA tech admitted that to me almost 30 years ago when mine stopped charging. I bought it new in 1986 or 87, and I still have the original paper manual and box and "Life Time Warranty" card (good for nuthin'). I've been a watch and clock "collector" since a teenager, prefer early American pocket watches, but who doesn't love early American MADE and Japanese and Swiss made wristwatches? So I've also collected all the tools a watch and clock tech uses, many pretty vintage too, and learned how to work to a certain degree on most any watch or clock, restoring and fixing, to my limits. I already have that (another version) Bezel removing tool, am just trying to confirm that the bezel is NOT a screw on, or absolutely IS a press-fit. Was hoping to find someone that has either worked on the Lorus version or the sort of same looking Seiko versions that also had the one-piece "tub" body. The Bezel only looks like a rotating time ring, but it's just a "faux" divers watch, only rated to 50m. I think the Seiko version actually had a rotating ring and Tritium on the hands and numbers and was rated to 200m or something. This Lorus/Seiko is an odd-ball and there is absolutely no repair info on them, so that makes me want to fix it more myself.
    • Very, very nice production.  Really outstanding walkthrough!
    • I assume that this is made after Aaron Lufkin Dennison time. I consider this as treasure. 🙂 Case Opener (i should have cleaned it first I see 🙂 ):