Project Sekonda

Thought I'd share another triumph, for me anyway. I'm still new to this game and don't have a dedicated work space and only functional tools. Picked up this 1970's "30" jewelled automatic wonder just before Christmas. 

It wasn't without issues. In it's past someone had poured a load of oil into it (smelt a bit on opening) and it took a while to clean it all by hand, soaking this and pegging that. I was lucky enough to find parts which proved invaluable and educational. I even plucked up courage and practised removal and lubricating shock jewels which was a first for me, still have a healthy respect of them though

Replaced the double toothed hour wheel, missing three teeth. Date wheel, ruined by the old oil. Rotor as the brass bushing was too worn, and it sounded like a bag of spanners, now it's gloriously silent.

It then turned into a labour of love as I even had a go at the hands. After much deliberation I applied lume by way of my own improvement, they were originally painted white but the oil had affected these to the point the paint had dissolved.

It's now my favourite watch, it's been running really well for over a month now and keeping great time, so I must have done something right.

Anyway I thought I'd share it, as perhaps what can be achieved at the dining table with determination.   

Sekonda_grey_30j.jpg

20201221_115425.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks JohnC. Having some broken/partially dismantled donors as spares was a god send, as it gave me the confidence to give it go before trying it on the real thing. I used a pair of tweezers in both hands and gently positioned/held and rotated until all three legs were in.

The lume I was very pleased with, my first go at it to. I chose a teal colour as it didn't look green in normal daylight. If interested I can post a lume shot!

PastorChris, happy to oblige ?. Not so much a frustrating journey this time, as having spare parts to hand made it a pleasure if not a luxury. I count myself lucky to come by them. A great learning experience and something to pour all my focus into for period of time. 

lume_shot.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, that's a really nice watch! Congrats and well done! ?

Do you happen to know what calibre is in there? I would suspect a Poljot calibre 2616.1H. No other Poljot has that many jewels so possibly their most lavish automatic.

• Thanks 1

That's very kind of you to say VWatchie. It's been getting a lot of use, partly to monitor my handy work and I'm pleased to say it's still running. You're right it is a Poljot 2616. So many jewels, so much oiling practice. I found it great to work on. Hoping to have another ready to show off at some point in the future.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 2/7/2021 at 5:18 PM, Bearman said:

Thought I'd share another triumph, for me anyway. I'm still new to this game and don't have a dedicated work space and only functional tools. Picked up this 1970's "30" jewelled automatic wonder just before Christmas. 

It wasn't without issues. In it's past someone had poured a load of oil into it (smelt a bit on opening) and it took a while to clean it all by hand, soaking this and pegging that. I was lucky enough to find parts which proved invaluable and educational. I even plucked up courage and practised removal and lubricating shock jewels which was a first for me, still have a healthy respect of them though

Replaced the double toothed hour wheel, missing three teeth. Date wheel, ruined by the old oil. Rotor as the brass bushing was too worn, and it sounded like a bag of spanners, now it's gloriously silent.

It then turned into a labour of love as I even had a go at the hands. After much deliberation I applied lume by way of my own improvement, they were originally painted white but the oil had affected these to the point the paint had dissolved.

It's now my favourite watch, it's been running really well for over a month now and keeping great time, so I must have done something right.

Anyway I thought I'd share it, as perhaps what can be achieved at the dining table with determination.   

Sekonda_grey_30j.jpg

20201221_115425.jpg

I do like these 1970's Sekonda's.  sounds like you went to some lengths to repair this one, but well worth it. great job!

Looks nice on the blue Nato strap too

Thanks Stretch. It was worth the effort, it was the first automatic watch I'd had a go at servicing. Learnt a lot from it and gave me the confidence going forward. 

I always seem to keep coming back to them. If you like that one and if you've not seen it already check out my "Chunky Golden Nugget" I posted on here earlier in the year.