Vintage timex manual movement

Dm567

1963 - 1964 has clean style that reflects a change in what Timex was selling in the 1950s. If you really want an outstanding Timex I suggest you look at a Darwin. But of course it is all a matter of personal taste.  What is the asking price of the one on Etsy?

Interesting direction to go, that's a real Timex fan!

I would think most people would want an old case with a new movement. If you find out what movement the new Marlins are using, you can compare to the old m24 specs. I agree with @JerseyMo, it's an unlikely fit, but not impossible. There'd be a few hoops; I wouldn't be sure the new cases had the same internal dimensions as the old for the dial flange, so it might not fit (too large/small). You'd need an appropriate movement spacer ring. Most of all you'd need to closely match the stem height of the m24 (2mm) with the case. There's ways to tweak this a bit in one direction with spacer rings, but prob easiest to just get a proper old Timex

Edited by KOwatch

18 hours ago, Dm567 said:

Around 70 dollars in better than average shape.

I like to marlin reissue except for the Chinese movement. I collect American items of all sorts, even dinner plates.

thanks for the advice.

Timex made watch parts in many countries so to try and say one is 100% American may not be possible.   Best to go as early as possible like a 1957 marlin that will have made in USA on the dial.  Of course the case was most likely made in the UK.  ?

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Sounds great! And yes, I would use grease for the keyless as well although treating the parts with epilame would make the grease less likely to spread in the long run. Not critical but won’t hurt. My current strategy is to epilame treat all parts getting in contact with oil or grease.
    • Hello everyone, for what it's worth, here is my approach: 1. Escape wheel submerged in Epilame, then dried quickly with a hairdryer. Then the final tip of the pivots are cleaned by poking into pithwood. The logic being that the Epilame is removed at the intended contact point (to avoid any residue that may mix with the oil), but remains in the areas where oil is not supposed to spread to (further down the pivot towards the wheel). The escape wheel teeth also benefit from having Epilame to keep the 9415 in place.  2. I use a syringe to treat only the pallet stones. I suspend the pallet fork with some Rodico so that the stones hang downwards. I notably use a rather thick needle where a drop WON'T form, but rather where the Epilame liquid stays in the needle tip, which I then dip into the pallet stones. It requires some practice to get the right amount of Epilame into the needle tip, but it works for me now. This way, no drop will "jump" onto the pallet fork and potentially go all the way to the pivots.  3. I let the movement run for a few minutes without lubricating the pallet stones... to scrape off the Epilame in the intended contact "channel". Then I remove the balance again and lubricate the exit pallet stone with 3-4 successive drops. See the "channel" that forms on the pallet stone in the picture -- not so easy to see, but it's visible.       I am conflicted about the use of Epliame in balance jewel settings. My impression is that the two jewels sufficiently suspend the oil (even 9010). Apparently Rolex recommends NOT to use Epliame there (heard from a former Rolex service center watchmaker), as it could cause additional wear. Apart from that, I follow specific instructions where I can find them. E.g. the infamous Rolex reverser wheels or sometimes (parts of) the seconds wheel. Exception: I'm currently servicing an Eta 2824 and will probably ignore the service sheet that recommends treating the whole keyless works with Epilame and then using HP1300... I'll skip the Epilame and use 9504 grease.        
    • I'm going to give this a try today/tomorrow on my UTC33/Seiko 66, thanks!
    • Hello and welcome from Leeds, England. 
    • Don't forget Mark is a hard working watch maker so he is also tied up with work. I'm sure he is keeping his eye on this forum making sure it is running along nicely.