how to measure a broke jewel?

gary17

hey

Just noticed the center wheel jewel was boken. I tried to remove it and what you see in pics is the outcome. I can measure the  hole size by measuring the center wheel shaft its 0.78mm but how do i now measure the jewel  itself to fit in the plate hole? Be damned hard sticking the original back together.

I have basic measuring tools but nothing for measuring broken jewels.

Any polite suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers

gary

IMG_20210206_204807.jpg

IMG_20210206_204830.jpg

I think it will be hard to meassure the Jewel it self, the easiest would be to meassure the diameter of the pivot which goes into the jewel hole and the diameter of the hole where the jewel goes and from that data choose a new jewel.

The pivot needs to be measured with a pivot gauge. The diameter of the jewel is tricky perhaps use drill end to find the approx size. Ps jewels purchased individually are not cheap so time spent determining the exact size is important.

22 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Can't we go by the movement caliber and search for ref No in catalogue? 

Very few watch companies list jewels sizes on their spare parts lists. Then jewels are considered generic parts I don't think I've ever seen a catalog we could look upset her jewels for instance.

If you had the Seitz Set you can use the ravers to figure out what hole size you have. Then if you have to open the hole up With one of the reamers to get the jewel for standard size you want to be really careful not to go all the way. There's a really fine line between a nice fit and having to purchase the next size jewel up in size.

If you of a smoothing broach that can be inserted and give you a clue it's not got be exact though.

8 minutes ago, thewatchdoctor said:

I see one of these in your future

I don't suppose you see the winning lottery ticket numbers? This is the big set it has everything but the smaller set that's cheaper works just fine for most people. There are few items out of the set that would be nice to have liked the jewel plate or jewel gauge. But for the most part you don't need everything here although it would be nice to have it.

• Like 1

I was lucky I bought most of my tools , 3 lorch watch lathes, old 1890 tissot turns, jacot turns, Touton plastic flat crystal cutter, 1000's of old VTF crystals for watches and pocket watches, ruby balance poises, spring winders, staking presses, rose cutter for pocket watch pendant rings, spare parts, 3 boxes of pocket watches, boxes of broken watches, movements etc etc from a deceased estate. The chap that passed away was a watchmaker for 50 years and the sons and daughters were clearing the house as it was to be sold. All the antique dealers there were after his clocks (200+). I saw in the corner a stacks of old cardboard boxes covered in dusty blankets. underneath was my treasure find. All the parts, tools, everything was all mixed up so it nobody was interested. I made an offer and got a call 2 days later to pay and collect as no other offers were submitted. Filled up a 1/3 of my Toyota quantum / Hiace Van. Wife said what crap have you bought now and how much. I say you'll see put your hand in that box grab a watch 1st one was a 36 rolex, next a 60 seamaster, then a small plastic case which contained a 1 carat diamond. Best buy ever for the equivalent of US $68.

• Like 1