Books books books

On 2/5/2021 at 5:01 AM, jdrichard said:

I was watching Marc’s video on his new shop and noticed his book collection.

Mark has a lot of videos can you give us the link to this specific video?

On 2/5/2021 at 6:30 AM, watchweasol said:

You cannot beat good books

I was thinking what is a good book? Casually I was thinking of photographing mine but in order to captured in the image were so far back you can't see the titles. Then I was thinking okay of all the books which are really the key books to have and why?

• Like 1

I'm jealous of Mark's shop in that he can have everything together in one space. My stuff at least the tools and supplies are scattered all over the place. About the only thing that's more or less in one place would be the books. Most of my horological related books are in the picture. Unfortunately they all don't fit in that space so probably another 10 or so books scattered around it just didn't fit. Then yes there is The couple of non-horological but they are related like two volumes of ornamental turning. These are basically really big either Rose engines Or straight line engines for really big things not watches or clocks at all but they're still related to ornamental horological turning. So any of the non-horological books in the picture are canceled out by the rest the books lurking nearby that are not in the picture.

As a reminder I know it's hard to remember a time before the Internet where everything Now is at your fingertip on your smart phone etc. But in those dark old days books existed oh wait They still exist don't they? My dad always liked reading books Tuesday used to be library night We would go the library every Tuesday right up until  the last year before he died. Then he would get a catalog of all kinds of books you could order at discount. So the concept of ordering books was not new. When I got into watch repair there were several book dealers mail order. In addition to a local bookstore that used to have a really nice horological collection until it migrated to my house slowly. Or even the nawcc Regional meetings dealers from all over the US would come but one of my favorite was a book dealer from California.  always could count on getting a couple of good books from him every time he was here.

Then for anyone making a bookshelf it's very important that the shelf not extend beyond the edge of the books. In order to get the photograph everything that's normally lurking in front had to be relocated. On the other hand it was a good opportunity to put all the books back As they were slowly migrating out.

horological books all.JPG

• Like 1