Mainspring winder

Willow

I am thinking of buying a mainspring winder off ebay that a guy makes out of steel, it was originally by made Colin Walton who designed the original i was wondering if someone could give me some advice or you view.Would i be wasting £170 which he is asking, thanks

IMG_20210205_120715800_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210205_115945740_HDR.jpg

It looks workable. Very similar to English pattern winders. I like the screw clamp for gripping the end of the spring. I think that's safer than gripping the end with a long nose plier. Make sure that it has serrations for a secure grip.

However, I don't agree with the square bar portion. When the spring in a barrel is wound until the tail can be gripped, it's not going to be tangentially oriented. I think the clamp should be able to rotate to whatever angle the tail of the spring ends up.

But it should work fine for open springs.

19 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Willow  If it comes complete with a set of retainers thats good, whats the postage like.   the retainers alone cost me £60 from America.

About £60 £70 postage and import tax what do you think of winder watchweasol 

The only demonstration of a English pattern mainspring winder I can find is this one on a BHI site quite alarming to watch all I can say this man must have the strength of pop eye in his hands note also not a glove in site.

I suggest no emulation of this.

https://www.slbbhi.co.uk/?page_id=2663

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, wls1971 said:

The only demonstration of a English pattern mainspring winder I can find is this one on a BHI site quite alarming to watch all I can say this man must have the strength of pop eye in his hands note also not a glove in site.

I suggest no emulation of this.

https://www.slbbhi.co.uk/?page_id=2663

Glad i didn't watch that first, might have put me off taking a spring out and buying a winder

Hi Willow   I would say the winder is ok, also the one posted by Old Hippy will do the job but take into consideration the comments by wls1971 and watch the demo. They were all designed to do a job as was the OlliBaker but all require a gloved hand to hold the spring. The Webster pattern has a clamp for the spring barrel and therefore inherently safer. They are all capable of doing the job as long as the required precautions are taken and used responsibly.

1 minute ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Willow   I would say the winder is ok, also the one posted by Old Hippy will do the job but take into consideration the comments by wls1971 and watch the demo. They were all designed to do a job as was the OlliBaker but all require a gloved hand to hold the spring. The Webster pattern has a clamp for the spring barrel and therefore inherently safer. They are all capable of doing the job as long as the required precautions are taken and used responsibly.

Hi watchweasol just watched the video he makes it look easy but i wouldn't trust myself with one of them i definitley would have lost a finger and he is not wearing gloves,

• Like 1