1978 King Seiko Calibre 5856 Service Manual?

mzinski

At most you might find a parts list, try SCWF - thewatchsite.com

Surely not a "manual" for a watch that was intended to be worked on only by Japanese watchmakers that knew well what they were doing without the need for any document.

Service sheets, exploded parts drawings etc only became common more recently. And ASAIK Omega is the only maker that investis in updating them even for mov.ts that have been discontinued more than half a century ago. 

• 3 weeks later...

I still haven't been able to source a technical document on this particular reference. But I have found what is likely the issue, a broken spring. Problem is I have no idea the name, part number, or where to find a replacement part. Can anyone help? 

The spring is associated with the keyless works. 

IMG_6485.thumb.jpeg.049dece61ac03d438d6b8631022cc182.jpeg

IMG_6486-3.thumb.jpeg.5d2dd72ed3675651c527248ce63342ba.jpeg

9 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  Its the setting lever spring that has broken.  How good that manual is I dont know, looked at the seiko site  there are no manuals on the 58 series at all. I put a note on the site to see if one is available.

Knowing it's the setting lever spring, I can use this guide to try to hunt down the part. It at least gives me name and part number to start on. 

24 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Had a reply from the watch site (seiko)  There is no data because they were return to base  for repair therefore no public domain tech sheets.

I suppose who gave this answer was talking about the past, and even if I can't say for sure, I think that is not the reason. As I have mentioned before, King Seiko and Grand Seiko were sold exclusively in Japan but that doesn't mean they were worked on only by the manufacturer. Back then and now as well there were reputable indipendent Japanese watchmakers, just like there were and still there are others which specialize in premium Swiss makers. It was purely customer's choice to decide who give his high segment watch for service or repair. So you have easily found the series 56 parts list (that is all a competent watchmaker may need, and mostly to reference parts by numbers instead of names), its just that until now who had the equivalent for series 58 did not bother digitalizing them and now they may be sitting under tons of other papers Buddha only knows where.

Note, this long worded explanation applies only to vintage King and Grand Seiko. Wiith the contemporary Grand Seiko the makers tries hard (and succesfuly) to have these worked on by their own atelier in Japan. Guess from wno they must have taken inspiration.

• Thanks 1

Checked the JBC Watch Parts Database but the closest I got was 5856A "QUARTZ ANALOG DSS CAL DAY/DATE". Is this a quartz movement? If so perhaps that part is  the "SET LEVER AXLE SPRING"? I'm probably wrong as the 5626A is a close relative, no!? (where did you see that @watchweasol, I checked this page).

Edited by VWatchie

Yes I see that the one you found is wrong, The long extension that is broken actualy from the picture goes under the setting lever spring and seems to provide tension to the small star wheel assy which is connected to the keyless mechanism, without the tech sheet/parts list its just conjecture. The call to Jules Borel will hopefully resolve the situation.   good luck. keep us posted.

On 2/25/2021 at 7:48 PM, ChrisRadek said:

image.png.1533be8bd03d28dae8d4cfe1ac1be279.png

That is called the "Switch lever" and its part number is 4450 005.

Thanks Chris! I should have known to just email you with this question. 

• Like 1