Recognizing and celebrating a win

My career has spanned several startups and nearly as many industries and areas of expertise. Previous business ventures have had varying degrees of success and failure, and more often than not failure boils down to one or more partners dropping a ball in a big way. Similarly, I've had to answer to investors and big money types, and while it's nice to have the funds, I'd prefer to not have to answer to them either if I can avoid it (also, I get to keep all the money I make, so that's better too).

For the past two and a half years, I've been working on a new technology that is lightyears ahead of everything else on the market. At the most simplified level, it beats the best competition by a factor of 20, and that ignores the vast majority what makes my tech superior. On top of that, the prototype cost is on par with or less than the off the shelf cost of the status quo, AND it's tiny in comparison in an application where size matters (less than 1% by volume, rough guess). When I initially had the idea, I was talking to the CFO of a major equipment supplier in the industry, and he told me on the spot that if I could solve the problem they were interested; I've done that, and so much more. I've still got a long way to go, but I just pushed the last commit before I'm ready to move to beta. I'm sure I'll find all manner of shortcomings between my simulations and real life, but that's to be expected.

Next is installation and beta. Then do the patent dance. Then extended beta (find some willing testers). Then I call up that CFO, and we have a chat. If he falls through, there are many more that would happily take his place. It's not a huge market, but with a shop of one, it doesn't take much to make a meaningful dent.

For now, I just scored a major win. At least in this project, and possibly in life if it goes in the right direction longer term. Normally, today would be a day that the team would call it early, crack some beers, order pizza, and have a big celebration of some sort. There's a pandemic, and I'm a shop of one, and the baby is asleep, and my wife is in a Zoom meeting, so... I cracked a beer and I'm sharing my success with you all. Cheers!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spectre6000 said:

My career has spanned several startups and nearly as many industries and areas of expertise. Previous business ventures have had varying degrees of success and failure, and more often than not failure boils down to one or more partners dropping a ball in a big way. Similarly, I've had to answer to investors and big money types, and while it's nice to have the funds, I'd prefer to not have to answer to them either if I can avoid it (also, I get to keep all the money I make, so that's better too).

For the past two and a half years, I've been working on a new technology that is lightyears ahead of everything else on the market. At the most simplified level, it beats the best competition by a factor of 20, and that ignores the vast majority what makes my tech superior. On top of that, the prototype cost is on par with or less than the off the shelf cost of the status quo, AND it's tiny in comparison in an application where size matters (less than 1% by volume, rough guess). When I initially had the idea, I was talking to the CFO of a major equipment supplier in the industry, and he told me on the spot that if I could solve the problem they were interested; I've done that, and so much more. I've still got a long way to go, but I just pushed the last commit before I'm ready to move to beta. I'm sure I'll find all manner of shortcomings between my simulations and real life, but that's to be expected.

Next is installation and beta. Then do the patent dance. Then extended beta (find some willing testers). Then I call up that CFO, and we have a chat. If he falls through, there are many more that would happily take his place. It's not a huge market, but with a shop of one, it doesn't take much to make a meaningful dent.

For now, I just scored a major win. At least in this project, and possibly in life if it goes in the right direction longer term. Normally, today would be a day that the team would call it early, crack some beers, order pizza, and have a big celebration of some sort. There's a pandemic, and I'm a shop of one, and the baby is asleep, and my wife is in a Zoom meeting, so... I cracked a beer and I'm sharing my success with you all. Cheers!

I have felt your pain and your joy.  I started two companies (semiconductor companies).  The second one paid off royally and I was able to take control of my life (kinda retire...consulting...canoeing...watchmaking) years ago.  It is a real pain to have to suck up to the vulture capitalists but at the end of the day, it worked out for me.  GOOD LUCK!!!!  BTW...when I am not on my tractor or at the watch bench (or playing my guitar), I am a patent consultant (expert witness...etc.)