Kundo clock running slow

Willow

I am having trouble with my Kundo clock running very slow no matter how much i regulate it , still slow left it running overnight and it had lost 45mins i have change the spring which horlovar recommend and i am struggling to get my head around putting it in beat can you tell by the video if it is in beat and what can i do to make it run faster

Can't tell by the video if it's in beat, the only way of telling is to watch the pallets escape at the same time as watching the pendulum rotate.  Have you got the suspension  length right it has to be bang on to the description in the book, the pallet fork also has to be bang on. Have you oiled it, what oil did you use, these clocks work best on little oil but you need to have oiled it in the right places such as escape wheel teeth. Have you tried regulating by its proper means. If you are expecting the pendulum to rotate at a flying speed you can forget that many of these clocks are slow in rotating.  

19 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Can't tell by the video if it's in beat, the only way of telling is to watch the pallets escape at the same time as watching the pendulum rotate.  Have you got the suspension  length right it has to be bang on to the description in the book, the pallet fork also has to be bang on. Have you oiled it, what oil did you use, these clocks work best on little oil but you need to have oiled it in the right places such as escape wheel teeth. Have you tried regulating by its proper means. If you are expecting the pendulum to rotate at a flying speed you can forget that many of these clocks are slow in rotating.  

Hi oldhippy i followed what it said in the book and used the template for the spring oiled it with J D Windles medium viscosity mineral oil when you say regulate by proper means what do you mean ? i have turned the regulator towards fast and it still is slow 

11 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

If you've maxed the regulation and all the adjustments Oldhippy mentioned are good then it sounds like you need a stronger spring. Horolovar is usually great with their info but sometimes not perfect. Just 0.01mm thicker will probably do it.

I have not reach the max limit but i don't think i am far off think i might try a thicker spring thanks nicelsilver

12 hours ago, clockboy said:

Counting the seconds between every full swing I would say it is a touch out of beat. However as oldhippy recommends you need to measure the suspension spring. Just a tiny amount of too strong or too weak and you will run out of adjustment. 

clockboy trouble is i don't have a micrometer i have ordered  a thicker spring should arrive today or tomorrow will change that and see what happens, will it being a touch out of beat make much of a difference ,thanks

13 hours ago, MechanicMike said:

I'll be watching this one closely...

let us know how you go on with that beat setting tool MechanicMike i have been thinking about getting one but thought they were no good for Kundo clocks, cheers

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Willow said:

clockboy trouble is i don't have a micrometer i have ordered  a thicker spring should arrive today or tomorrow will change that and see what happens, will it being a touch out of beat make much of a difference ,thanks

If it is not in beat the clock might stop, they are very sensitive, it might not happen but it could at any time. I have know them to just stop after months.  

• Thanks 1

As Old Hippy said these clocks are sensitive,  I have set mine up on a level base and run them on but, when moved to the display cabinet they stopped most likley out of level.  The beat setting tool is a must when working on these clocks as it allows you to make very fine adjustments. The tool is also universal and fits all 400 day clocks. So if you intend to do any more buy the tool it will save you time in the long run

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Willow said:

let us know how you go on with that beat setting tool MechanicMike i have been thinking about getting one but thought they were no good for Kundo clocks, cheers

Hi Willow. Oh but they are. Just got one and it is so obvious that it's a must-have when I got it, it should've smacked me right in the forehead. Pliers of any kind will not work and you run the risk of upsetting the delicate balance or worse yet, breaking something. Don't delay like I did. Pick one up. OH, Weasol, Clockboy Hector and the rest were all correct on this one.

Been busy at work. I'll keep you posted.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Finally finished the Kundo clock after putting it aside while working on other clocks then going back to it inbetween, 

after bending a few suspension springs and clock running slow i did what someone suggested by putting a stronger spring in turning the adjuster all the way up to fast then gradually turn it towards slow it is running ok just a couple of minutes fast over 2 weeks i just need to find where i can get 2 screws for the guard that protects the suspension spring looked at different companies and ebay but no luck yet thanks everyone

• Like 1