Cats or Dogs?

We have a cat and a dog.  Lovely animals both of them.  Our cat catches all our mice and is very people oriented.  She is friendly and deadly in the right measure.  We also have a dog.  She is friendly and intelligent.   Guards us against the evil squirrels, who dare encroach.  Thinks she is a 70 lb lap dog when not defending the manse.  Here's the thing.  The cat sheds everywhere and likes to sit at the center of attention: like on one's work-surface.  The dog demands her share of attention as is likely to demand a pat on the head just as one is about to set a second hand on a watch face.

So WRT: which is it?   Which animal has the best sense for when you are at the most critical part of a repair?  And if your answer is a gray parrot or a kimodo dragon, then I want a good yarn to go along with the claim  . . .

?

• Like 1

Love em all. These days it's a 70 lb bull terrier rescue named Otis who thinks he's a pomeranian and is a spoiled mamas boy. Likes to explore at and under my bench and tends to be a bull in a china shop. My "watch" dog. 

Generally when he comes in to check on me I have to stop what I'm doing and make sure everything is nailed down to prevent mass launch. I should have named him "Ping."

I'm allergic to both (what most people consider badly allergic to dogs, and super seriously allergic to cats), but have always had dogs until just over a year ago. My last dog I got in college, and he died two weeks after my daughter was born. He was old and blind (no eyes). Sweetest, friendliest dog ever. Did not discriminate; everyone was a friend and worthy of being ran into softly (his version of a hug). My wife's office is dog friendly (or was when people went there), and he was very much a favorite. Even other dog owners and emphatically non-dog people told her he was their favorite office dog. There was a painting of him on the wall, and they named a software library after him at the company. Flowers were delivered when he died, and we live in the mountains... deliveries don't happen here. He was always very quiet and chill. The most vigorous he'd get for attention involved him sauntering up, putting his chin on my leg, and wagging his tail gently.  He would have been a great watchmaking buddy save for the husky half of him shedding everywhere. Still, I'd happily clean those little black hairs out of every movement if he were still here. Best dog I ever had.

A young photo when he still had eyes and could see.

SP_A0274.thumb.jpg.a68ec9d22b8c9b0686155f68060e7475.jpg

• Like 4

Our cat is a Siberian and hypoallergenic.  I think the theory is that Siberians often have less of a particular protein in their saliva, which is what folks with cat allergies react to. We have had very, very cat-allergic folks visit the house with no discernable reaction.  And, as I mentioned, she catches all our mice.  Hair everywhere though.  ?

Sasha.jpg

Edited by NewToWatches
  • Like 1