"The Watchmaker's Apprentice" George Daniels and Roger Smith

I didn't see a "media" sub-forum so I hope this is an OK place to post this. I just finished watching this documentary about George Daniels and Roger Smith. I read "All in Good Time" over the summer and enjoyed this documentary as well and wanted to share it with you all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B06Y39YSC4/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 6:48 AM, canthus said:

Lots of videos on the tube which show Roger Smith's awesome skills.  Well worth watching.  Just search for Roger Smith watchmaker.

Yes is searched after reading one of his books and readily found many videos with him. Interesting character in terms of his skill but also his early life. Honestly, the early chapters of "All In Good Time" I found very difficult to read.

Edited by PastorChris

• 5 months later...

The watchmakers apprentice was a very well put together documentary, at least from a production standpoint. I think it was a Kickstarter project originally. I'm not sure what you professional watch people all thought but I certainly enjoyed it. What I liked it how interesting a story it wove without being unapproachable. I didn't know of George Daniel's before this, but did know of the Co-axial movement of his. It is certainly worth a look if you have an Amazon Prime subscription. Jonathan Rhy's Davies narration adds that touch of theatrics too and makes this a well rounded enjoyable watch (pun intended)!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Plato said:

All of George Daniels' books are quite difficult to read.

I would agree with that assessment. His writing style is very much not something for light reading lol. I would not have wanted to have been his editor as I can imagine he was very stern with manuscript changes.

• Like 1

I got through 'The Practical Watch Escapement' ok but it was his attempt to aim something towards younger readers! 

I gave up on 'The Art of Breguet' and 'Clocks and Watches' and now after reading almost every other horology book I could find I'm giving 'Watchmaking' another shot. 

Best watchmaking books might be a good topic on the forum? I think I've found the best ones but I'm usually proved wrong. 

My choice would be Hans Jendritzki, The Swiss Watch Repairer's Manual. 

• Like 1