Loose anchor

Clocko1023

I recently acquired a Westminster mantle clock and noticed that it is off beat when ticking. I set the pendulum going and it ticks for about 10 seconds before slowing to a stop. After taking the movement out I noticed that the anchor is loose on it's arbour and I wondered if there is anyway that I can accurately straighten it up again?

8 hours ago, wls1971 said:

Its impossible to tell with no pictures, a lot of anchors are friction fit but without pictures any advice would be just guess work.

?

As you can see the pendulum crutch has more travel on the right side than the left. At some point the screw on the anchor has been loosened which has allowed it to pivot on the arbour. I can't seem to get it aligned again. Any thoughts?

20210201_093519.jpg

20210201_093530.jpg

20210201_093542.jpg

20210201_093545.jpg

I would straighten the bracket as WW suggests, but don’t do it if you are not comfortable with adjusting depthing (and can appreciate what drop and depth of lock mean, etc). 

Can make the final adjustment via the screw that locks the anchor to its arbor. I adjust the beat by applying masking tape across the back of the clock under the pendulum. Then mark in pen exactly where the pendulum rod is at rest, and at the two points where a tooth is dropped. Adjust until the two drop points are equidistant from the resting point. 

• Like 2