Diy Water Pressure Tester

Legarm

Just tested, dry, up to 5 Bar, no leaks over 10 mins, cylinder rated at 125psi, which is just over 8 bar. Not sure if to go any higher than 5 Bar.  :unsure:

Rob, what's the max pressure you have taken yours to?

I haven't gone higher than 5 Bar with mine.

5 Bar is 40 metres depth. So I think that will be adequate for most services. 50 metres plus I feel you would want it tested professionally, if your diving to those depths.

I feel confident that this tester will ensure the watch is OK for swimming but if you need checking for more advanced stuff like snorkelling or proper diving you should do it with a real tester.

5 Bar is 40 metres depth. So I think that will be adequate for most services. 50 metres plus I feel you would want it tested professionally, if your diving to those depths.

Just remember that 40 or 50M depth does not necessarily correspond to the actual diving a watch can handle in the real world.

Having said that, you are absolutely correct - if a professional diver needs a suitable watch tested, he/she should send the watch to someone with the correct equipment, and insurance as their lives will depend on it.

The calyso, bergeon and indeed this solution are to be used to detect leaks, but in my opinion, they should not be used to determine if a watch can be guaranteed for use under water.

For the classifications and recommended use for each classification see my post here: http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/1803-waterproof-testers/

Rob, I recommend you only put just enough water to cover the watch and not much more, I feel the chamber has too much.

The picture is deceiving, the blue top part is filled with a porous material that the watch can rest on but also allows water to enter. So when turned over the water just covers the watch.

post-158-0-91770800-1427634930_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All tested and now given it it's maiden voyage with a Seiko 200m Divers Watch.......... Failed at first test...... Serviced watch and full refurb...... greased seals and then left off the Bezel to see around glass seal....... Took it to 6 Bar, safety glasses on....... and..............

post-227-0-96308700-1428592432_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-05136800-1428592463_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-61998900-1428592493_thumb.jpg

post-227-0-37603400-1428592531_thumb.jpg

All fine, no streaming bubbles.......

All for under £40....... better than the cheapest Chinese one at £150 plus custom charges.................

• Like 1

Very good! Thanks for sharing.

Have you tested it on a watch with a known problem? May be useful to experiment by putting a kink in a gasket to simulate a failure, just for science :)

Very good! Thanks for sharing.

Have you tested it on a watch with a known problem? May be useful to experiment by putting a kink in a gasket to simulate a failure, just for science :)

Yes Mark. This watch failed on first test when I received it. After I serviced, refurbed, greased and sealed, no problems. 

Very pleased with it.

did you source these parts locally or did you get them from the US, i saw that post a while ago and just gave up after it was in the US!

All sourced in the UK. 10" pressure vessel is on Ebay......  301329458121       ....... go for the 3/4" ports

Schrader valve...... courtesy of Kwik Fit

3/4" to 1/2" reducing bush     (Plumb Center)

1/2" to 1/4"    "             "          (Plumb Center)

PTFE tape 1 roll                     (Plumb Center)

3/4" lever valve Male (for releasing pressure) ........ (Plumb Center) 

6mm Stainless Tube Ebay ..... 111625454690    ..... 

Foot pump, any one that is capable of 10 Bar

Hope that helps.

Keith

Edited by Legarm
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

This is great, I've been trying to justify the cost to purchase a good tester for a while (I wouldn't trust the cheap ones on eBay with my face close under pressure). Ill definitely be making myself one of these.

Nice one

• 4 years later...