The end of my current employment

Well I have been a maintenance planner for 30 years. I have had companies request me back at times.

The current company that I work for have basically said to me that I am not performing well in any aspect of my job. I have been through misery for the last 15 months with the company and my current manager.

I finish up on Monday. I am getting a fair handout from the company so I suppose I should be thankful for that. I wish the next person all the best. I just wonder what they will do to him/her if they can't do everything?

Now I just have to find something else to pay the bills.

• Sad 1

Thanks @oldhippy I will not work as a planner again. I have had that much doubt put on me about every decision that I simply do not trust my decisions anymore. I have been second guessing everything.

As you may have read on other topics, I would love to make a go of watches and clocks. I just don't know if it is viable down here in Oz. I will ask some questions of the watchmaker that I am sending my Seiko back to. See what he says and go from there.

Just a bit angry and upset at the moment. Self medicating with Jack Daniels and Dry Ginger Ale. ?

Edited by Michael1962
  • Like 1

It is different and also being close to Europe I presume. It is very different here, but there should still be the ability to survive out of watches or clocks.

I wish I understood the parts issue more than what I do. The second hand prices of the clocks over here that I showed you all as well does not fill me with much confidence.

And don't worry about the self-medication bit. I only have two drinks at most. ?

• Like 1

I'd be more concerned about your physical health,  having been busy working for thirty years,  I am afraid, retirement will be an invitation to ill health.

Whatever you choose to keep you busy, same amount of physical activity, no more, no less is certainly most suitable.

Good luck pal.

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry to hear that. But as one door closes, another opens. Perhaps it is in the bigger plan of of the The Great Master Planner for you at this moment.

Do not dwell in self pity and DO NOT succumb to alcohol. Take this down time to equip yourself with new skills so that you will emerge better and stronger tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

Please guys, don't worry about the alcohol bit. It was just a tongue in cheek comment.

Tomorrow will see me get up in the morning and keep on preparing an old aluminium table & two chairs for repainting.

I am looking forward to getting that done as I am then starting on my Hettich table clock.

I will be sure to post up photos as I work on that.

I also have to get my synthesisers all connected up again as I have been chasing an electrical hum. I think I have found it now.

Onward & upward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Michael, Was out of the frame yesterday (Hospital).  Sorry to hear of your predicament, Companies all over want staff loyalty but are not loyal to staff. Add to that jumped up management(theorists) and its not a secure climate.  Like Old Hippy said its good to talk so keep us all posted. Glad you are keeping busy .Take car and safe you are amongst friends here.

• Thanks 1

I had a tiling business a while ago, but that is not a game that it easy to make money in. Keeps you fit though.

Having left the company I was employed by, they have paid for three months with an outplacement firm. The normal deal. Resume finessing, but these people also do the hard work in trying to get you interviews etc.

They also help with you setting up a business. I have slowly been sneaking things into the house tat I can use toward a clock business. When I mentioned that this outplacement firm also assist with setting up a business, I got "We're not starting up another business!!!"

Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey. ?

Michael1962. Back in 1990 experienced the very same employment problems. ( in the UK ) Soon found alcohol was not the answer. After a time Turned a hobby of clock repairing into some income and biggest clients are those that have clocks of a sentimental value and quite willingly pay many times there value. Over here in UK clocks seem of low money tary value. Haven’t attempted watches, too small for me now. Your 30 years experience in a job speaks for itself. Don’t believe them what ever you decide.

That really stinks Michael, especially since it seems like it had little to do with your qualities on the job but with the pettiness of another who was set over you. Prayers (if that is appropriate and welcome) for the journey from here forward. Glad you expressed yourself here and Im sure the support will continue from the members here.

Grace and Peace

Rev Chris Scrivens