Watchmaster Mark II - Opinions, Experience, or Thoughts???

Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my hobbyist laboratory and I need some opinions, experience, recommendations, horror stories, advice, etc. 

I've got my eye on a professionally refurbished Watchmaster Mark II. This looks like it'll be a delightful upgrade from my current situation of a L&R T-14. 

I wonder if anyone can provide their insights on this potential purchase. 

Thanks! 

I found a link more helpful for me perhaps? When I was student in school this was one of the cleaning machines they had. I'm not sure what the difference with the mark two is other than it looks like it has a speed control for the drying.

They are a really nice machine for cleaning. Cleaning fluid is self-contained and little cops so you're not using a lot of fluid. As a nice strong ultrasonic. It is a timer with way too much time on it. Like any cleaning machine with the ammonia hated fluids you don't want to go over about four minutes.

If you getting the machine make sure you get all the cleaning baskets because those are pricey on eBay if you try to buy him one at a time.

Then the link below has the early version plus the user's manual and the schematic. In the video above there was a comment about the machine won't run with the timer if you look at the schematic you'll see why it controls the power. I don't know if he mentioned it to they didn't watch all the video but there's also a safety feature if you try to remove one of the cups when it's running it turns off. Then the noise in the video isn't right because it's a high-frequency noise. Seeing as how they use it in watch shops it shouldn't really be that noisy. Not as noisy as an ultrasonic tank cleaning bands and bracelets that can get quite irritating with time.

https://horologicalstuff.com/2016/12/15/watchmaster-wt-ultrasonic-watch-cleaner/

@JohnR725 & @oldhippy thank you gentlemen! Both are very helpful links. 

In the first video, I suspect the US frequencies are causing issues with his phone microphone. In any event, my current machine produces strong enough frequencies that I cannot use my Weishi Timegrapher at the same time. 

The Watchmaster Mark II is being offered to me at $650 fully refurbished in 2019. It is missing the rinse dip cup stored on the upper right shelf of the machine. Don't see any on eBay presently but if the price of the US cups is an indication, I expect it'll cost $35-$50 for a new one. 

2 hours ago, mzinski said:

In any event, my current machine produces strong enough frequencies that I cannot use my Weishi Timegrapher at the same time.

The Chinese timing machines are very intolerant of anything making noise. I was once doing a lecture comparing one of them with my witschi machine they were running side-by-side. So basically you can have one watch with both microphones clip to the watch the same time and run comparisons.

I was shaving with my battery-powered shaver walked into the room and there was a problem with the Chinese machine? So even though the shaver is in the picture next to the machines the Chinese machine picked it up several feet away. Basically the Chinese machines do not have all the circuitry that the witschi machines have to Operate in noisy environments.

But I'm suspicious of newer witschi machines. At work both machines are upset if anyone is cleaning something with the ultrasonic tank. Although I've never actually operated a ultrasonic machine in the same room with mine. So there is a limit of how much noise the timing machines will put up with before they get unhappy. Probably why the manuals usually say to operated in a quiet room.

timing machines and external influences.JPG

2 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

The Chinese timing machines are very intolerant of anything making noise. I was once doing a lecture comparing one of them with my witschi machine they were running side-by-side. So basically you can have one watch with both microphones clip to the watch the same time and run comparisons.

I was shaving with my battery-powered shaver walked into the room and there was a problem with the Chinese machine? So even though the shaver is in the picture next to the machines the Chinese machine picked it up several feet away. Basically the Chinese machines do not have all the circuitry that the witschi machines have to Operate in noisy environments.

But I'm suspicious of newer witschi machines. At work both machines are upset if anyone is cleaning something with the ultrasonic tank. Although I've never actually operated a ultrasonic machine in the same room with mine. So there is a limit of how much noise the timing machines will put up with before they get unhappy. Probably why the manuals usually say to operated in a quiet room.

Upgrading my timegrapher is another topic - someday soon I will likely be moving on to a Witschi. 

5 minutes ago, mzinski said:

Upgrading my timegrapher is another topic - someday soon I will likely be moving on to a Witschi.

For the most part there's nothing wrong with Chinese timing machines. Okay to be specific the 1000 and 1900. Some of the other Chinese machines are running a different program. But they do a really decent job for the cost.

But if you can afford a witschi machine they do have enhancements that are really nice to have is just a shame there so darn expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

@JohnR725 Well the WMII showed up today - much worse for wear. It looks like the FedEx drop kicked the box en route. Talk about disappointing! This is after the seller sent time stamped photos, videos, and answered all my questions. As far as I can tell, it left him in good working order. 

Can you recommend anyone local to Seattle who fixes machines like this? I'd like to make an attempt at fixing it before I sell it off on eBay for parts. 

Let me know. 

42 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

Seeing as how it was nicely documented as being in perfect condition and now it's not hopefully it has insurance?

What sort of fixing is required?

The heating unit collapsed into the lower portion of the unit. It bent out of shape the outer shell and shattered the plastic grill. I believe it must have damage other components as well since my attempt to power it up resulted in a giant spark and an unresponsive machine. 

I will reach out to Time Machine Repairs in New Jersey about repairs but I'd prefer to find someone locally to avoid shipping. 

I had it shipped via FedEx. The most frustrating thing is I cannot recall if I paid for the extra insurance. I recall clicking it but at the same time I don't remember. I indicated FedEx to bill my business account - and I have no idea how to access the invoice! FACEPALM! 

I did submit a claim for the full amount so we'll see where it goes. 

• 1 year later...

bought mine in 1978 new, just broke down in 2020 , it is Very noisy,the frequency drove me kanuts,I put in   separate room,and it gags me with ammonia  L&R cleaner so its vented outside but Cleans deep, have left a mainspring in the barrel and cleaned  it , afterwards taking the mainspring out, it was very very clean, removes dried up oil in the jewels like on old pocket watches, gets super hot if you run it twice the solution is steaming, it was not very dependable running only 42 years!!  i am rewinding the coil that burnt and replaced the capaciters,,hope i can get it running again..I am mad at myself for not taking better care of it, splashing cleaner down the transducer areas, its just an open hole that the cups slide down in, didnt realize it was such a mess, but the real culprits were the capaciters, just blew one day, catching the dirt on fire in there ,I wasnt going to fool with it but i just saw a few on Ebay for $1200.00, if you can get one clean and running with new Caps i would say buy it, 

• 1 year later...