Is anyone else currently doing the BHI DLC??

Just wondering if anyone else is currently doing the DLC? Got mine in November and started in January, working my way through lesson 2 at the moment. And that’s a test on the old brain that’s for sure!!!

Although I have to say that the new DLC is superior to the old DLC of which I have a copy aswell.

Have to say that after 8 years of tinkering including making parts from scratch its amazing just how little you actually know! Especially the complicated ways calculations are expressed!!!!

Edited by transporter

@transporter I am also working my way through it, since October. Yes, it's a stretch for the noggin for sure. I find I would like a little more watch stuff and a little less clock stuff, generally, but I think that's supposed to change about the halfway mark. Anyway, much of it is applicable to both. One thing I really need to get sorted is workshop space to do the practical exercises. I am set up for watch stuff, but not so much for clocks / making tools.

@JohnC I really struggled with the way the calculations were written out for train counts, wheel turns, period of pendulum and tooth period etc etc, for such simple calculations it’s ridiculous. I guess thats just how mathematicians write out simple sums,  I can refer to the wheel turn calculation in lesson two, a very long winded way of doing a simple division, I button bashed the calculator and came up with the answer shown quite by accident!!

I am waiting for cousins to get a stock of their vices in, direct copies of bergeon for a fraction of the price, my current vice just isn’t accurate enough on the jaws for the practical pieces. 
Did you opt for tutor feedback or not?

On 1/28/2021 at 5:13 PM, transporter said:

@JohnC I really struggled with the way the calculations were written out for train counts, wheel turns, period of pendulum and tooth period etc etc, for such simple calculations it’s ridiculous. I guess thats just how mathematicians write out simple sums,  I can refer to the wheel turn calculation in lesson two, a very long winded way of doing a simple division, I button bashed the calculator and came up with the answer shown quite by accident!!

I am waiting for cousins to get a stock of their vices in, direct copies of bergeon for a fraction of the price, my current vice just isn’t accurate enough on the jaws for the practical pieces. 
Did you opt for tutor feedback or not?

I've been looking at the BHI DLC courses and have been through the taster. In terms of the vice, it recommends a 75mm (3 inch) vice not specially a watchmakers vice. I've seen these on Amazon for £30-40. Is the issue the how parallel the jaws are?

That said, Cousins specifically state that their vice (10th of the price!!) is almost indiscernible from the Bergeon. It is on my shopping list when it is back in stock!

9 hours ago, BungleBogs said:

I've been looking at the BHI DLC courses and have been through the taster. In terms of the vice, it recommends a 75mm (3 inch) vice not specially a watchmakers vice. I've seen these on Amazon for £30-40. Is the issue the how parallel the jaws are?

That said, Cousins specifically state that their vice (10th of the price!!) is almost indiscernible from the Bergeon. It is on my shopping list when it is back in stock!

Ref the vice, I’ve one from Amazon at the moment and it’s great for just gripping stuff, but the jaws close just on the threaded rod so the jaws don’t line up when closed. The cousins one like the bergeon one runs on dovetail runners and in so doing so the jaws stay parallel. 

• Like 1