Disassembly tray

I saw a video recently where as the watch was disassembled, each component and its associated screw(s) were put in a compartment of a tray.  I thought that was a good idea.  Looking around, I did not see anything for sale that was particularly appealing, so I designed and 3D printed this one.  Each compartment is 20mm on a side.  Not sure if that is the right size but I will experiment and iterate.  I can print a cover for it, or maybe cut some clear plexiglass...or something...

345458425_2021-01-2807_49_13-FreeCAD0_18.png.4a6dff02ce00a8ebe48078e1080569ea.png

2 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I saw a video recently where as the watch was disassembled, each component and its associated screw(s) were put in a compartment of a tray.  I thought that was a good idea.  Looking around, I did not see anything for sale that was particularly appealing, so I designed and 3D printed this one.  Each compartment is 20mm on a side.  Not sure if that is the right size but I will experiment and iterate.  I can print a cover for it, or maybe cut some clear plexiglass...or something...

345458425_2021-01-2807_49_13-FreeCAD0_18.png.4a6dff02ce00a8ebe48078e1080569ea.png

There are many alternatives:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/aluminium-pots-in-aluminium-box

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/compartment-boxes-with-divides-bergeon

I personally prefer aluminium pots - they are very convenient and safe. I would stay away from any plexiglass containers (static is not your friend).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Poljot said:

There are many alternatives:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/aluminium-pots-in-aluminium-box

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/compartment-boxes-with-divides-bergeon

I personally prefer aluminium pots - they are very convenient and safe. I would stay away from any plexiglass containers (static is not your friend).

I ordered some of the aluminum cans this morning.  I printed this with PLA.  Not sure how it takes a static charge.  Will test for that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I ordered some of the aluminum cans this morning.  I printed this with PLA.  Not sure how it takes a static charge.  Will test for that.

Or better NOT test ?

I just found that those tiny Jewels (Cap Jewels) become very "attractive" and jumpy inside plastic containers.

Also, having a large tray with all parts is not preferable (my opinion). Something about all eggs in one basket :-).

Aluminium pots help you to keep entire components separately - you do not have to guess which screw goes where. Makes it so easier during reassembly especially if you clean your parts manually.

I use some larger pots for storing my donor watch movements, or items "to be fixed" later. It's very practical - takes almost no space and i can see what's inside without opening the lid.

Edited by Poljot
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, transporter said:

Never had a problem with these, and never had static problems with them either

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have a couple of these.   They are nice.  But for me (at my current stage of development!!), I need more compartments so that I can lay things out in order so that assembly is less error prone.  I take pictures as I am disassembling (for complicated watches) and that helps.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I have a couple of these.   They are nice.  But for me (at my current stage of development!!), I need more compartments so that I can lay things out in order so that assembly is less error prone.  I take pictures as I am disassembling (for complicated watches) and that helps.

I always keep the Balance and the Pallet Fork separately from other parts. These two items are extremely delicate. For obvious reasons, I clean these components separately using different cleaning solutions, methods and tools.

• Like 1

I have one of the plastic compartmented bell jar jobbies. I keep works in progress on movement holders in it on my desk under my tool tray. I started out using it as above, but I wanted more separation and security.

The aluminum/glass pot trays are my preference. If you knock the tray, or the desk, or whatever, things stay contained. One tray is enough to separate a typical automatic movements out by plates/systems; two would be required for something like a chronograph. I've also occasionally used the lids as flat platforms to get things off the work surface a little. My desk has a drawer slot that will neatly fit a dozen (possibly 16) of the boxes, so I could have that many in progress at one time (eventually).

I have used the little plastic pots with plastic top too. Still do for certain jobs. And I have experienced some static cling. But I find myself using these bait trays from Plano $2 USD more often and they are sold as static free. They work.  I add little post-it notes for part ID and I too, take tons of pictures who I then give to the owner as part of the description of what was done to the watch. People seem to like that and are fascinated by what I explain combined with the pics I give them. I put the pics on a flash drive and give it to them.  Most say they've never seen anything like it and never thought twice about what goes on inside or what it looks like. Love their reactions. 

The trays and dividers are adjustable.

20210128_215416.jpg

Edited by MechanicMike
Spell check sux
  • Like 3