Need help for Omega Seamaster caliber 562

Elton

Thanks Clockboy. It is automatic movement - watch has missing parts therefore looking for quartz replacement as an option. 

OmEGA details:

Dm= 27.9mm, Do= 28.4mm
H= 5.0mm
F= 1.75mm
T= 2.15mm
24 jewels
f = 19800 A/h
power reserve 50h

Balance staff U2769

Stem W2790

Hands
1.50 x 0.80 x 0.18mm

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elton said:

Thanks Clockboy. It is automatic movement - watch has missing parts therefore looking for quartz replacement as an option. 

OmEGA details:

Dm= 27.9mm, Do= 28.4mm
H= 5.0mm
F= 1.75mm
T= 2.15mm
24 jewels
f = 19800 A/h
power reserve 50h

Balance staff U2769

Stem W2790

Hands
1.50 x 0.80 x 0.18mm

You will run into many issues, including fitting your dial, a need for some sort of mounting / fitting ring (usually plastic), adjusting your winding stem, etc, etc.

However, you can start searching here simply using your existing movement diameter and height:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/filter/watch-movement-search-match-by-millimeter-size

it does not have to be Quartz, you may find some mechanical movements suitable for your case.

Is it so bad that repairing your Omega movement is not an option?

10 hours ago, Elton said:

I'm just wondering if I can find a quartz movement as suitable replacement. Quartz Movement number if available would be appreciated. Dial O/D is 27,5 mm. Thanks in advance.

Are you sure it can't be repaired ? There seems to be most parts available for this movement - check ebay and Cousins.

• Like 1

Yes you could probably put a quartz watch in  but  a lot of work is going to be required to find a suitable movement that lines up with the stem  and still has the hands in the right place for the dial.  Specifically the thickness of the movement has to agree with the thickness of  the original movement. Then more likely the hands will have to be replaced because usually  the quartz movement has different hand sizes in the regional watch.

7 hours ago, mikepilk said:

Are you sure it can't be repaired ? There seems to be most parts available for this movement - check ebay and Cousins.

Apart from a few missing parts, the main plate center jewel is damaged. The next option could be a spare Omega movement from eBay but it may cost between $ 180 - $ 200 AUD.

18 minutes ago, Elton said:

Apart from a few missing parts, the main plate center jewel is damaged. The next option could be a spare Omega movement from eBay but it may cost between $ 180 - $ 200 AUD.

Are you aware that the center jewel could be replaced? The missing components depending upon what they are can be an issue. Sometimes it is cheaper to get a replacement movement. But did you know this is a discussion group of people who repair things maybe we can help you repair it?

Don't just give up the idea of repairing the 562. It is a really nice movement and will be worth the effort. Once it's back to life you can enjoy it for many years. 

But just as watchweasol said first list the parts you need to buy and check how much it would cost. 

Good advice but challenging. I ruined the jewel hole as I tried to improvise and as a result I rimmed the hole too large. I'll persevere & still look for other option.  Apart from that more missing parts like cannon pinon ,winding stem ,& cog wheels all of those can be obtained from ebay (Omega spares). Biggest hurdle is the main plate which I ruined the center jewel hole as mentioned earlier. 

As long as the hole for the jewel is still centered it shouldn’t be a problem to fit a new jewel with a larger outer diameter. But I would recommend you to let a professional watchmaker do it, these can easily crack and they need to be perfectly sized. But it doesn’t necessarily mean that the main plate is ruined

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clockboy said:

Agree with “handwound”  this is a job only to be attempted with the correct tools. 

I would say with skills and experience more than anything else. You can see great work done by a master with mediocre tools, but never the other way around. 

• Like 2