Vertical Micrometer Usage

jdrichard

They're very useful for all kinds of things. I have a bunch of these scattered around the workshop. There are two main types- ones with flat plain tables and ones with the die plate like yours; and two main makers, both made both types, Tavannes and Prazision Falke. The Tavannes are usually 0-25mm, Falke 0-15mm.

They can be used for finding lengths along an arbor, using the die plate or a bench block if you have a plain table. Taking heights/depths off a plate or bridge. Nice for measuring inside of barrels (from barrel bottom to lid ledge for example). Pretty much any time it would be tricky to take a measurement with a regular micrometer these can help.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Klassiker said:

When does the tilt function come in handy?

It's just so you can see things more easily; with a horizontal bench mic or handheld mic it's not an issue,  but with these you find yourself bending over a lot to get at eye level with the spindle. I usually use it on my watch bench so rarely use the tilt

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nickelsilver said:

They're very useful for all kinds of things. I have a bunch of these scattered around the workshop. There are two main types- ones with flat plain tables and ones with the die plate like yours; and two main makers, both made both types, Tavannes and Prazision Falke. The Tavannes are usually 0-25mm, Falke 0-15mm.

They can be used for finding lengths along an arbor, using the die plate or a bench block if you have a plain table. Taking heights/depths off a plate or bridge. Nice for measuring inside of barrels (from barrel bottom to lid ledge for example). Pretty much any time it would be tricky to take a measurement with a regular micrometer these can help.

Big big thanks. I need to find the manual as well

1 hour ago, jdrichard said:

Ok, I bit the bullet and picked this up tonight for $200 bucks Canadian. It is in absolute mint condition as I lay here on the couch wondering what I will use this for the most:) any detailed suggestions will really be appreciated.

4B86C62F-296B-4D26-A287-9AF79ABA5EB4.jpeg

image.jpg

It is beautiful.  Some things you just have to admire.  I do.

• Like 1