Casual Interest turning into Exciting Hobby

BungleBogs

Hi All,

I'm Matt from the UK, a father of four, and have always spent a lot of down time (toilet and waiting in queues) watching various horological videos on YouTube. Some of my favourites are ClickSpring, Master Watchmaker, Nekkid Watchmaker, Reuben Schoots, and RWSmithWatches. Scattered amongst all of these are a lot of hand & machine tool restoration and machining. It is clear where my passions lay.

I'm an electrician but haven't worked in that field for more than a decade. I'm now tied to a desk as a programmer (which I love), but I miss working with my hands. The children are growing up rapidly and are now becoming quite independent, one in particular is close to flying the nest. This means I'm now have a bit more free time and why my fingers were getting itchy!

My exact path on this hobby is not yet clear, but I do have it in my mind that one day I'd like to construct my own timepiece from stock. That would be many years off, so as it currently stands I'm purchasing old movements and practising taking them apart and putting them back together. In addition, I'm making my own simple tools. My next project is several pairs of hand levers in silver steel and brass.

It is great to find this forum and community.

Cheers,

Matt.

Welcome Matt enjoy the forum. Horology is one of those hobbies / skills that has a never ending learning curve and it can become very addictive.  However there are rewards when yo get a vintage non running watch back up and running. Enjoy the  forum.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will be completing my first strip downs and assemblies this weekend. I'll be doing it on a cheap Ebay bought movements. It won't be a service exercise, more an orientation and practice session.

I've repaired a few iPhones for my kids in the past. Battery, screen, and camera replacement mostly and what is interesting is how similar the core tools are and the working practices. Equally, I've built my fair share of models (one of my kids is into Warcraft 40k), Meccano, and electronic circuit boards.

So whilst this might be my first rodeo, I feel like I have some of the riding skills already in place.

Any advice beyond a clean, organised, working environment and recording each step of the process?