Re-using Crystal Gasket & Fitting advice?

Afternoon all,

I’ve just ordered a crystal press and a replacement crystal for a friends watch, the crystal was all cracked and fell to pieces when pressed from the inside. The gasket is still intact and seated in place and I plan to re-use it. However, am I best to leave the gasket in-situ and press the new crystal in to it, or do I remove the gasket and loosely seat in on the bezel along with the crystal then press them both in to place?.

Thanks

On 1/26/2021 at 8:22 PM, Robbie010 said:

Afternoon all,

I’ve just ordered a crystal press and a replacement crystal for a friends watch, the crystal was all cracked and fell to pieces when pressed from the inside. The gasket is still intact and seated in place and I plan to re-use it. However, am I best to leave the gasket in-situ and press the new crystal in to it, or do I remove the gasket and loosely seat in on the bezel along with the crystal then press them both in to place?.

Thanks

Remove the old gasket (it's i-shaped, or perhaps L-shaped - not too many options), clean the bezel, order a new gasket (usually they are dirt cheap) and new crystal, do it right:

- when bezel is clean and dry, place the gasket in the grove

- place new crystal on top perfectly horizontally and give it a slight push with your fingers (just so it stays in place)

- then use your newly purchased crystal press to push the crystal down. Do not forget to place some microfiber cloth (or something similar) to protect crystal from being scratched.

• Like 1

• jdm locked this topic
  • Mark unlocked this topic