Time Zone Movement.

Going to sign up and do the Timezone level 1 course. My birthday next month too, so hopefully get a decent set of screwdrivers, rather than the £4.50 ebay ones I got!

For the course, it's either a Eta 2801-2 movement or a Fm97 one.

I've looked for a Eta 2801-2, but the only ones I can find are in complete watchwatches, costing a few hundred pounds. Don't want to go stripping one of these down.

Is there a cheaper alternative or copy to this movement? something that if it does go wrong, it won't be the end of the world.

Thanks.

They also recommend the 6497/8 movements. I was able to find two pocket watches with these movements, each for less than $50. The first one was not working and it ended up being a bad hairspring. I made sure the second one had a good picture of the hairspring and was described as running. The main downside to these is the availability of parts versus the newer ETA ones. 

I used a 2801 in level 1. I then purchased a 6498 movement just to disassemble a different. Movement. It was like working on Big Ben after working on the 2801. I think the 6498 is a perfect first watch to use with level 1 because of the size.

• 2 weeks later...